THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone used Montana Rifleman Barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has any one used their barrels? Good, Bad, Ugly?

Posts: 100 | Location: anchorage,alaska,USA | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been more than a few threads about this within the last 6 months or so. Try the search facility. In general, people who have pitched in with field reports have been very happy. I think you can say MRC barrels are a bit of a "best buy" at the moment (i.e. good quality at a reasonable cost).
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
mine (in .404 Jeffery), while I haven't fired it yet looks spectacular both inside and out.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used a few. In all cases I bought them as unturned blanks and contoured them myself. They showed no tendency to warp while turning, indicating that stress relieving is properly done. The most recent was tapered and fluted and showed no significant movement. Accuracy in all cases has been more than acceptable.
The drilled hole has not been as straightas I would have liked in a couple but it was not outrageous. I've seen some expensive barrels which were just as bad (not bad?). This curvature in the bore complicates setup a bit is all. As I said I have run into the same thing with all kinds of barrels. I will use more. They offer my costomers an affordable good quality alternative. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote