Find
Notify
Tools

Smith Model 10
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-51
posted
Anyone ever try converting one of these revolvers to a different caliber? Say .41 Special.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's really no way to make a K-frame into a larger caliber than .357 - look at the forcing cone, and how the bottom of the barrel that sticks through the frame has a flat cut onto it so the crane can close. This is why 357 magnums tend to crack at the forcing cone.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The model 10’s were made on the medium sized K frame and I don’t believe that sized frame will accept a 6 shot .41 caliber sized cylinder. You need to go to a N frame size like the models 25, 27 etc.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-51
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I don't have one here to look at in depth.

Posts: 128 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do know that you can make a Colt Trooper or any other E/I frame Colt like the OMT/OMM or Official Police or Army Special or Python (actually that frame size was originally called the 41 frame) into a 41 special without a lot of trouble. Otherwise for a S&W N-frame you might as well just get a Model 57/58 in 41 Magnum. I suppose the 696 L-frame 44 special could be converted to 41 Special if you can find someone willing to make a new cylinder for it, then just get a 686 357 barrel and have it bored out.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote