New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to get claw rings?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up an old 9.3 x 62 Husky with claw base mounts. Where can I get the rest?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not quite that easy as most claw mounts are 100% hand fitted. I would call Lee LeBas at L&L Enterprises to see what your options might be. Usually you're looking at about $400 to buy and fit rings.

L&L

If you're lucky he may have an old set that can be adapted. Most new sets of rings and bases run $600-$800 installed.

Another source might be New England Custom Guns but I'd be surprised if the line they carry happened to fit an earlier make.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Recknagel (ERA) makes the most models and probably the best of the type of rings/mounts you're looking for.

They are available from New England Custom Guns www.newenglandcustomgun.com

and Champlins www.champlinarms.com to name two sources.

They will have to be hand-fit by someone that understands them. The gunsmiths at both places are well qualified.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Therein lies the problem. Recknagel rings fit Recknagel bases but there are many, many different pre-war makers who used different spacing and depth for the claws. Some 'smiths even made their own from scratch but probably not Husky. At any rate, I hope Recknagels are a match 'cause that is sure the cheapest way out with a new set.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When asking about the rings, also inquire about new bases with the rings. Sometimes this ads very little to the overall cost, and will ensure a tight ring to base fit. The bases are often standardized, so they might match the dovetail or holes already in the receiver.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote