THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

biggest caliber for double set triggers????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i bought a k98 8mm mauser last week.... it has some sort of quick detach scope bases (can't identify them yet) and double set triggers... for what i paid, i basically bought an action.... if i don't keep it as a stalking rifle ( for which i really have no use) i'll use the action to build something else on...

Question:
what caliber for a mauser with double set triggers???... im planning on a #4 contour stainless barrel....

Choices:
.220 swift
.243 win
6.5 x 284
7mm mauser
8mm mauser

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used double set triggers on a few rifles and I like them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who doesn't need a stalking rifle in the continental style? Depending on how slender your fore end is you might also want to consider a 9.3x57 or 62. Whatever you pick please get a blue barrel; stainless steel and double set triggers just don't belong together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x284, it's a splendid cartridge and, in a lighter stalking rifle, can genuinely benefit from the DSTs.

I love set triggers, have them on almost all my rifles except the Martini Cadets. Have SSTs, DSTs and CCDSTs in several types of single shots as well as a number of bolt guns.

It's been my experience that set triggers sacrifice a certain amount of pure accuracy in exchange for their superior snap-shot control. I've conducted extensive benchrest accuracy comparisons between the same (more than a dozen) rifles fired in first the set and then the unset mode, and in every single case the unset mode was slightly more accurate when shooting from the bags.

For this reason I recommend set triggers for lighter rifles that are likely to be fired from the standing or semi-supported field positions but not usually for heavier varmint or target rifles that will be fired from steadier rests. The 7x57 is also a great candidate for DSTs but I like the 6.5 bore along with the greater case capacity of the 284 case.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Classic M98 rifle, classic cartridge- 7x57.

Had lunch with my father-in-law today; he returned from hunting in Montana using a 7mm on a Heym pushfeed.

I have a CZ 527 w/ss trigger, love it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seven by five seven!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I voted for the 7x57 too...I like set triggers well enough for things where I have the time to take a nice calm shot, from a stable position, at "longish-medium" range, and in a chambering which isn't powerful enough to smack hell out of my middle finger. I don't like them for rifles which might be used suddenly on potentially dangerous game.

One of my 10.75 x68s which I bought used in England had originally been sold in Nairobi and was supposedly sold again by its original owner because he didn't much like it with the double triggers...

With me I dislike set triggers on larger-bore rifles because reaching for the front trigger tends to put my trigger and bolt operating hand in a position not as handy for a quick second shot, if needed.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The largest caliber rifle I have a Double Set Trigger or Set Trigger on is .366"; a bolt-action 9.3x62 and a 9.3x74R Drilling .

The bolt-action is set up both for Drive Hunting (Millet Red Dot 0X Scope) and shooting from a High Seat (night time use - an 8x56). I find the trigger ideal for both these types of hunting. The Drilling is used exclusively for Stand Hunting.

For the moving shots involving Drive Hunting I most always have the time to prepare the shot and and set the trigger. When you cut one loose things happen; well, like right now.....I prefer it that way.

For night time Stand Hunting (Wild Boar) usually there's enough time to prepare for the shot as the game is being ambushed and competely unaware. I prefer a DST for the prescision.

Mamy of the so-called "Classic" Teuton rifles have DST's. While "classic" could perhaps be considered the operative word in this case; IMO if a rifle has a DST I normally pay a whole lot more attention to the shape of the pistol grip (if the option is available - one open-gripped Heym isn't so).

A wide open grip isn't (again, opinions vary) condusive to moving & sliding a hand around on/up/down the pistol grip to operate the various triggers. For darkness and time constrained shots I desire the triggers to be right where my fingers can manipulate the Bits & Pieces without any fumbling.

Have Fun with your new K9 8x57 Mauser.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shudder: double set trigger.... Frowner

Pardon to all lovers of this trigger system, I guess it is an acquired taste. Some people manage to get over the safety issues, the issues of increased complexity, increased noise, increased reach for operating trigger, varying trigger weight if you choose to operate trigger set as well as unset etc etc. To each their own, I guess.

Over here in Euro land, it is very common for double set triggers to be set as true "hair triggers" - I'm guessing set weight of about 2-3 ounces. My students for the Swiss hunting qualification test understandably worry about the trigger releasing if they touch it prematurely. So it is very typical they develop a wonderful "slap the trigger" method to get around this abominable setup. Needless to say, this is not conductive to accurate shooting! I have to admit, this is not a fault of the double set trigger per se, but a misunderstanding of how to properly adjust one. But it sure is common over here, and it enforces my (admittedly very subjective) opinion that double set triggers are one of the worst inventions in the history of shooting.

Gerry, btw, are you sure the trigger on your Drilling is a double set (German: Deutsche Stecher)?? Normally, set triggers on combination guns are single set triggers (German: Rückstecher, or Fransösische Stecher), and the rear trigger operates the other (of the currently selected) barrel.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
The key to a double set trigger - as with any trigger - is to keep the index finger out of the trigger guard - and completely off the firing trigger - until the sights are aligned on the target and the shooter is ready to break the shot.

But the problem with double set triggers is that they require that the front, firing trigger be "set" - by first pulling the rear trigger. One must consciously avoid the practice of following that action by immediately moving the index finger to the firing trigger.

It will have a drastically lighter pull than the rear trigger and can easily be tripped inadvertently.

So, don't pull the rear trigger, then immediately put your finger on the front, UNLESS YOU ARE ROCK SOLID ON TARGET AND READY TO SHOOT RIGHT THEN AND THERE!

Rather, take your index finger out of the trigger guard!

The double set trigger requires absolute trigger discipline, and is utterly unforgiving of any negligence or mistake.

Unless a shooter practices a religious sort of trigger control, a double set trigger is a very dangerous device.

I have a double set trigger on a Mauser guild rifle in 8x57mm and it is a thing of beauty. But firing - or dry firing - that baby will make you a devout believer in trigger control!

BTW, if I were you, I'd go with the 7 or 8x57mm. It's a German thing.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As with lots of things mechanical, and as my old Trinidad machine shop instructor never tired of reminding us, "You gotta be smarter than the machine in order to properly operate it!"

If you don't like 'em or are not prepared to practice, practice & practice then I strongly suggest that you don't use 'em.

They were originally developed for use standing with the crossbow, and later were adopted for rifle shooting when rifles became almost as accurate as crossbows. Their chief utility is for offhand or other semi-supported positions when the shot should be taken during a short time span due to unsteady positions or varying wind/light conditions. IMO they are not good for sandbag rest or dangerous game shooting nor are they good for the occasional or inexperienced shooter.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
If you don't like 'em or are not prepared to practice, practice & practice then I strongly suggest that you don't use 'em.

This is a very valid point! I guess it also explains why some shooters swear by double set triggers. I guess their use could (and should) become second nature, if that is what you use on a regular basis. I am personally not that keen on set triggers (single or double), but who am I to tell other shooters what works for them.

There is one double set trigger which I have to admit fascinates me: the Anschutz target trigger. The set lever is located In FRONT of the release lever, such that you don't have to change your grip between set and release mode. In addition, the position of the release lever can be varied to better fit the size of your hand/finger. The set lever is pushed forward as opposed to pulled to the rear, and (at least in never versions) the release lever has a shoe angled to fit the angle of your trigger finger. As with most set triggers, I think you can set the trigger weight too low, but the Anschutz sure is a fascinating trigger.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
this gives you an idea as to what ive got....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'm trying to identify the scope bases if anybody has any idea..... the rifle is really quite nice for an older military conversion... a trip to houston this last weekend helped me identify it as a k98, 1935 yr ( as identified by the rear ladder style sight).... the stock has been cut down to a schnable forearm and a cheekpiece added to the butt....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not a Mauser descendant like the 6mm Remington or the .257 Roberts.
The .243 is an abomination in a Mauser.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They were originally developed for use standing with the crossbow

I've seen a diagram showing the train of linkage used in a crossbow with a draw weight of around a thousand pounds (typical in later versions, I believe). It was used to get the weight on the trigger mechanism down low enough that it could actually be disengaged with a finger. Amazing.

I think it was in a large "coffee" table-sized book, "100 Great Guns".

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i prefer them on smaller calibers like the 6.5x55 & 7mm mauser, but i do have them on two mauser guild rifles in 8mm & a springfield 1903 in 30-06 & they work out ok as long as i practice a little before i take them on a hunt.

Posts: 107 | Location: alvin texas | Registered: 09 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gerry, btw, are you sure the trigger on your Drilling is a double set (German: Deutsche Stecher)??

Mike,

The Drilling; of course, is a SINGLE Set Trigger, and only the FRONT trigger is so for the rifle & right shotgun barrel with 5.6x50R insert barrel.

wave

mr,

quote:
he double set trigger requires absolute trigger discipline, and is utterly unforgiving of any negligence or mistake.

Yup.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote