New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need reccomendation for reasonably priced barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering a new barrel for a Savage model 116 300 Win mag. I want a reasonably priced barrel that is better than factory, but wont break the bank. Can someone reccomend a manufacturer?

What is the optimum length for a barrel of this caliber?

How much velocity will I lose per inch of barrel, if I choose a shorter barrel?

If I re-barrel could I choose a different caliber, like 7mm STW or 300 Weatherby Mag without changing the bolt face?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The last barrel I bought was from Douglas....a XX grade #3 contour and polished....I still have to crown, chamber, thread and blue it.

The .300 WBY and the 7MM STW will fit your boltface but may be too long for your action.....you need to check that out.

I personally don't like barrels longer than 24"...but that's me...26" is what most folks like in those calibers. You might lose 50'/sec per inch.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If I remember rightly the Savage action cut out is long enough but you will need a new magazine box and the gas deflector on the bolt (the thingy right behind the bolt lugs) may have to be changed as well or the bolt will short-stroke. Midway has most of these parts. They also sell ready-to-use Savage barrels by Adams and Bennet which are probably OK. I have one on my 416 Rem Mag and it shoots as well as I can hold it. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

[ 12-08-2003, 03:16: Message edited by: tiggertate ]

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lothar-Walther Chrome Moly was 189.oo

one of us
posted Hide Post
just out of curiosity, what is wrong with yours? all my savages have shot very well. they make a very good barrel. as good or better than other factory fodder.
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Lothar Walther or Douglas Air Gauged.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote