Notify
Tools

Installing pillars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted
Just bought a nice wood stock for my Beretta Mato

the HS Precision stock it cam with had pillars and an aluminum action reinforcement

but the wood one does not.

I would like to install pillars and then glass bed the chamber, recoil lug, action and tang area. The glass bedding I have done before but never pillars.

Is there a generic pillar that I can buy that can be cut to length and installed to take all the torque between the bottom metal and action? Any tips or problems that someone has experienced that could be of help?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Don't pick that stock as your first pillar job. It looks like too nice a piece of firewood to learn on. Practice on something else for the first. Second and third.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
It was only $140.00 malm

Probably stand more of a chance of damage when I open the barrel channel to free float it.

Do you think that just bedding the chamber/recoil lug area would do about as good? There is a lot of play between the action screws and the wood.

Don't worry about it?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Having a loose fit between the action screws and the action screw holes in the stock is a good thing. Having a tight fit here could result in the action screws partially taking recoil, which could eventually form cracks; in a very weak area to begin with. ideally you want the recoil lug/s to take all the recoil, and the action screws should not touch.

I would only glass bed the recoil lug area and pillar it.

Also make sure when you do this that you still retain a small gap between the magazine box and the action. Having a little gap(.075" or less) will ensure you do not bed the action on the mag box, resulting in a fulcrum.

That is a really nice stock, the blank it was made from cost more than the 140.00 you payed...

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the pillars around the action screws allow me to torque everything down tighter?

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
I was told that the purpose of pillars was to prevent the stock crushing over time, resulting in the action eventually bedding on to the bottom metal/mag. Of course you have the other typical reasons for installing pillars like providing consistancy, accuracy, etc...

The pillars provide a stationary, non-changing/consistant place for the bottom metal and action to be placed/clamped around.

On our builds at school we have the standard .250" action screws, and we drilled out the pillars to roughly .300" to make sure the action screws do not bear on the pillars.

Eventually some other opinions will appear, and if they agree with me hopefully they can better explain it....

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty nice looking $140.00 stock on this monitor. Anyway, adding pillars provides vertical support so you don't "crush" the wood fibers which, over time, would destroy accuracy. And as serious as you are about assembling your ammo, I couldn't see you doing anything less than adding pillars.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aaron and that makes sense to me. That is the reason I wanted to do it. After all this is wood and I just want it to look pretty and not be under any stress or cause problems.

Course I could just send it to malm and pay him to do it right (I think that's what he was hinting at in his first post Wink ).

Anyway, helluva deal Beretta is selling those for!

Beretta Mato Stock

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
Course I could just send it to malm and pay him to do it right (I think that's what he was hinting at in his first post Wink ).

Yep, a good move!
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
That's a pretty nice looking $140.00 stock on this monitor. Anyway, adding pillars provides vertical support so you don't "crush" the wood fibers which, over time, would destroy accuracy. And as serious as you are about assembling your ammo, I couldn't see you doing anything less than adding pillars.

Thanks malm

So what you recommend is that I buy 2 more and practice on the first 2? Big Grin

Someone said that the pillars for the Rem 700 will match the bottom contour of Mato action. Then it is just making the hole right and epoxying them in, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is it stocks such as that DON'T come in LH version's ?.

For $140.00 I'd purchase a couple of those without cheek piece an semi blanks then inlet them lefty !.

I should have played on the other side of the crib when I was a toddler , Who knew !!!

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woods, you can buy generic adjustable pillars from Brownells, as I have a set that I was going to install in the stock of a cheap rifle but sold it instead and have never installed them. They don't look that hard to install to me, but.......

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have someone who does this for money pillar bed this stock.

If that stock was an eighteen year old girl I would promise her momma that I would have her home by 01:00...

That is a nice stick of wood.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can also pour the pillars, with devcon plastic steel or j-b weld for a perfect fit, then drill screw hole one size larger so screw doesn't become a recoil lug. Works for me.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take it to Tip Burns in Canyon Lake.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote