Find
Notify
Tools

Re-chambering factory barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
I asked on another forum about taking a new T3 in 25 06 and having the barrel re-chambered to 25 06 AI. I got some imput but most of it was a debate on why I would want to do that. I'm hoping for some more input on this.

I've also considered doing the same thing to my BLR. Re-chambering from 308win to 358win. Would I be able to do that or would I have to get it re-barreled?

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm missing something, it should be a piece-o-cake to turn that T3 into an AI. For the BLR, it would definately take either a re-bore or a rebarrel; as moving from .308 to .358 would require a larger bore diameter.

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Short and sweet, I agree with Gib.

Good luck and good shooting.
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Usually the smith will want to turn the barrel back one thread, so as to have plenty of fresh metal to cut, and I believe Akcley proscribes doing otherwise.
As for changing calibers, the chamber just handles the cartridge. The bore is still going to be .308" all the way down unless you do something to it.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks

I think a new barrel would be the way to go with the BLR if I was to do this.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote