Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R and 404J
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted
......bit of an odd question, but would it be possible to feed both cartridges from the same action.......I have been offered a 404J barrel set up for a P14 action with a locking collar similar to the Savage set up.My P14 is about to be fitted with a 9.3 barrel and of course with the way my brain works (sometimes) the idea of a ready made switch barrel intrigues me. Assuming different magazine boxes for each calibre, could they both be fed from the same action ??.....would it help if the 9.3 was improved to straighten the case ??

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Interesting concept. Not odd at all. Only way is to try it.
Might not need a different mag box.
Feeding for both? maybe. Despite all the formulas guys like to use, feeding is still a black art. I make rifles feed like the Pinball Wizard. No formulas needed.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
I was thinking different mag boxes because of rimmed and rimless cases.....

Roger

Posts: 1043 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right, maybe. The 404 case head is .545 OD, and the 9.3 rim is .526. I would try it in the 404 box before I made another one; never know.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whew! what a way to spend a couple of weeks or months. If you could find a smith to do that work, he would think your nuts perhaps, but he would also charge you an arm and a leg in hours spent is my bet...If you have time to stop the wheels from turning, Id use a 9.3x62 or 64 and go that route for a switch barrel..

I tried that switch barrel thingie in the past and I never had the right barrel on the gun when I needed it..Two guns and a camp staffer work best for me, and they consider being a gun barrier a compliment, even today..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote