New
Find
Notify
Tools

swivel studs in laminate stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a new Model 70 laminate in 300WSM that is going out soon for pillar bedding and a trigger job. I am going to mount a ching sling on it and was wondering about installing the 3rd swivel stud. Should I drill a pilot hole and just thread it in or drill a relief hole from the inside and use a nut? How much room should I allow in front of the recoil lug? Thanks in advance.

[ 10-23-2002, 05:51: Message edited by: KevinNY ]

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Think about using a Pachmayr flush mount swivel base for the third swivel. Easy to install and looks great. And you have no stud in the way when the sling is removed.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I found them on the internet,but how do they work? What secures the swivel to the stud, and how does it release?

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen those pins that have 2 ball bearings in the end that stick out except when you press the button in the handle? The swivels work the same way, you inlet a hole that a cup with a little lip on the inside fits into, and there are some little balls in the end that will stick out of the stud part that fits on the sling.

Hope that makes sense!

Mark

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I use is a twist in, the flush "stud" has a slot backed by a spring loaded plunger. End of swivel bow is T-shaped, you push the "T" into the slot and give a quarter turn. Works great, strong, looks nice. The ball detent type base has a big hole in the stock when the bow is removed, sort of ugly.

I mount them in the thick wood, about an inch in front of the recoil lug. Depending on the stock, might need to reinforce from the barrel channel side with epoxy. Takes a blind drilled 7/16" hole, then is tapped 1/2-13, and the flush stud is screwed into the wood. I add some epoxy for strength and locking.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote