New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maximum OAL for a Model 600 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How long a cartridge can a Model 600 be made to accommodate?

The reason I am asking is I am thinking about having one customized to either .338-08 (2.810 OAL) or to the new .338 Federal (exactly the same as the .338-08, except with an OAL of 2.860, which allows the bullet to be seated out further, which allows more powder). Of course, I would prefer the Federal round, since velocities are increased.

If the .338 Federal can not be made to fit, I may go with .358 Winchester, for which I can get factory formed and headstamped brass, and will push a 225-grain bullet the same speed as the .338-08 pushes a .210-grain bullet.

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gahunter

I have some 600 Remingtons. Longest bullet I thought about using was a 6MM Remington OAL 2.825 and there wasn't much room left in the magazine. So I went with a .243 to give me more freedom playing with my seating depth.

So it would seem that the 358 Win would fit. I'm thinking that the 2.860 may just be a tad long. How does the .338 Federal compare with the 350 Remington Mag for what you are trying to do? I know that one works.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .350 Rem. Mag would work fine, however I am trying to keep away from "magnum" recoil in the 4.5-pound rifle I am having built. Also, I already have a .35 Whelen and don't really need it's ballistic duplicate. Besides, the .350 Rem. Mag. in a short action requires bullets to be seated so deep that you can't get anywhere near the performance you can when it's chambered in a standard-length action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GAHUNTER
It depends on which bore you like the best, 338 or 35.
Just load your rounds to fit in the magazine of your 600.
Since you already have a 35 Whelen the choice should be easy. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my magazine out last night and measured it. It is 2.835 from front to back. Factory .338 Federal ammo is all under 2.800, so, at first blush, it looks like I can make it work. I just won't be able to handload bullets out to the maximum.

Am I wrong?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GAHUNTER:
I took my magazine out last night and measured it. It is 2.835 from front to back. Factory .338 Federal ammo is all under 2.800, so, at first blush, it looks like I can make it work. I just won't be able to handload bullets out to the maximum.

Am I wrong?

You seat the bullet out to, A) gain powder capacity, which equals increased recoil, or B) to reach the lands. Using the stock magazine you will be able to load them safely out to about 2.820. Your gunsmith can easily set the throat length for this and you'll be good to go.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote