Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone make your own muzzle brakes?
 Login/Join

posted
Just wandering if anyone one makes their own brakes. If so,what size of holes and how many do you use? Also, has anyone tried using an angle on the holes ( maybe a 30 degree)? Winter has had me cooped up inside too much and thought about playing with the lathe.Thanks-SJ

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Effectiveness-wise, the more you angle them toward the rear, the more you'll decrease the recoil. But you'll increase the blast you get that much more, too. All I can see that's been done to some of the brakes claimed to produce less blast is to angle the jets forward, which reduces the anti-recoil effect. Be sure to allow plenty of clearance around the bullet inside, say, at least 8mm I.D. for a .30 caliber.

I'm not going to make a brake, because I don't like them. But it's not rocket science. Anybody with basic machine shop equipment should have no problem.

I am rather interested in muzzle brakes as devices, particularly some of the more elaborate baffle types.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stump Jumper

There have been a lot of experiments and material written on muzzle brake design, if you do a search you can find a lot of it.

To answer your basic questions most muzzle brake manufactorers recomend a maximum of .020 bullet clearance (Shrewd and Vais)for best results. KDF recomends .016.

Most brakes have their gas vent holes at 7 degrees foward angle. As for the number, size, pattern of holes and design of expansion chambers, it would take up several pages, so I recomend you research the designs instead of running into problems that have already been addressed.

If you get stumped on a net search, let me know I might be able to find the url for a good article.

I know you are sort of just looking for a project but my own opinion is there are some really good brakes out there now for a very reasonable price and even though I have the equipment to machine them myself, it is not cost effective.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Real men don't use muzzle brakes! I don't need one on my 8lb .458

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote