New
Find
Notify
Tools

1902 Parker
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have, on approval, a 1902 20ga Parker that I have a question about. The gun has been beautifully restored and, as such, has no collectors value. My concern is this, the top lever is to the left of center. My other doubles have the lever well to the right. The gun in question is very tight and on face with the forend removed, barrels ring true and bores shiney with no pitting. I bought it as a shooter(steel bbls), so should I be concerned about the lever position? Thanks, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The locking block is a wedge..means the block is getting close to it's max

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly what Duane said. Some early guns and lower end models don't have the wedge that can eaisly replaced. In that case you have to rebuild the locking block or bite.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Galazan was offering this, come to think of it. If there is no wedge on the barrel, you can either have a new bolt made... not always possible to take up all the wesr.

Or..install a barrel wedge.. Were it me, I'd go for the barrel wedge

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys. This gun does not have the pinned, replacable wedge that was used on the later models. I'll shoot some clays with it this weekend. If I can shoot it, I will have the barrel wedge modified to take the newer style.

Duane, This is a #1 frame and makes for a rather porky 7.5lb 20 bore. What do you think about a set of 9.3 barrelsSmiler I keep going back to that little 20ga/45/70 you have. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VFR1:
Thanks Guys. This gun does not have the pinned, replacable wedge that was used on the later models. I'll shoot some clays with it this weekend. If I can shoot it, I will have the barrel wedge modified to take the newer style.

Duane, This is a #1 frame and makes for a rather porky 7.5lb 20 bore. What do you think about a set of 9.3 barrelsSmiler I keep going back to that little 20ga/45/70 you have. Bob

All you gotta do is find another set of barrels for the mono blocking. Used my 45-70 last week on a Axis...but that's a long story...seeya

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane. Most of the 20 bore Parkers were built on the O frame for a lighter, handier bird gun. Finding a set of 20ga bbls for a #1 frame will be difficult, but I will do some looking. My local shotgun guy is a Parker bbl maker and will also keep on the lookout. Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another question on the Parker. I shot several rounds of skeet yesterday and today and the gun shoots great 22s/23s. My question is, with the action closed, I can slip a .004 feeler between the right barrel/standing breach and .005 on the left bbl. Is this excessive? My other double shotguns are .001/.002. All these guns are approaching 100yrs of age. Thanks, Bob