New
Find
Notify
Tools

Info/Advice on Hardwood Blank suppliers in US
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a piece of wood to restock a ZKK602 but in 458 Lott. I have contacted a few people in the USA and their response has been fantastic but rather overwhelming. I now have so many pictures that i do not know where to start looking. I guess it will boil down to the advice on the finer details on the questions that i ask about specific blanks.

Cali'co seem very reasonably priced, is there a reason they are quite a bit cheaper than the Dresel's etc? Luxus seem to cater for the upper end of the market (i have not contacted them as +$1000 is out of my range)but they were highly recommended by my gunsmith.

Does anyone know Cecil Fredi? He is in Vegas

Buying something like a blank over the net is a bit nerve wracking and personal reference's will go a long way to helping make my decision.

Thank you

Posts: 256 | Location: Africa | Registered: 26 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slow down, your moving to fast. Take your time when shopping for your rifleblank. Choose a blank for layout and density first.

Remember this is supposed to be fun.

The only thing else I have to say is call LuxusWalnut, and have a visit with Adam.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I have got some beautiful wood from Roger Vardy in Australia.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've bought lots of wood from Cecil Fredi...he has been absolutely honest and forthright. The wood is always better than I expected. I reccomend him without hesitation.
jmr

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Cecil Fredi. Really outstanding wood, proper grain flow and layout, for Bastogne and English.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Call Luxus...their wood is great and service is second to none. They have lower priced wood too!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've been through Cecil's wood bin. He's a great guy and very helpful, All his wood is dry maybe a bit hi $ for grade.

I also like Wright in Oregon, you'll get 1 year old wood, borderline wet but very nice blanks.

rich

Posts: 6484 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Scott

I was in Cali'co last Friday looking at blanks. The subject of big bores came up and the manager, Steve, told me he had a customer in South Africa was was looking for a blank to restock his 458 Lott. I guess you must be the guy!

I have bought a bunch of blanks from Cali'co and have always been happy. I pick through the blanks myself as I live 10 minutes from their plant.

A couple of years ago I looked at wood at the custom gunmakers show in Reno. I looked at wood from several outfits and I walked away thinking that their prices were much higher than Cali'co. One of the outfits you mentioned seemed way overpriced. Cali'co has nice wood in the $100 to $400 range, the outfits at the show did not have anything that I liked that was less than $600.

I believe the reason Cali'co is cheaper is that the bulk of their business is dealing in volume to the big gunmakers. They deal in all grades of wood. Selling to private parties is a small part of their trade. Cali'co cuts the trees and processes them themselves.

For the outfits that deal in only fancy wood at low volume each sale must make a good profit. I believe that many of these outfits are only middlemen who buy from the woodcutters.

I will be stopping by Calico this week. Drop me a PM if you want me to look at anything for you.

Jason

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote