New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a Mouser sporter and have some qestions for you experts. It has a cheep plastic stock on it that seems to move too much up front. The first reloads I put through it grouped not too bad,2"-2 1/2" but had flyers. On checking the bedding I found a little presure up front. I shimmed the recoil lug to have the barrel free float, lock tited the scope mounts and tried again. This time I got 2 groups out of 5 shots 3 shots in a 1/2" and 2 in a 1/4" 3" above the others. Is this a bedding problem? What do I do about the flexing stock? I am on a budget so keep it cheep.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
hawky---

By shimming just the front you've put a bending stress on the action. That explains the vertical groups.
I'm guessing you have several bedding problems. It's hard to guess what all they might be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't the cheap way, but dump the plastic stock. They're more trouble than they're worth unless you buy one with a stiffener molded in like the Choate. Even if you bed it it will still flex like rubber when you shoot it. Get a laminate stock, they're stiff, look good, and easy to bed.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbelk is right.

Can't free float a barrel by lifting one side of the receiver, you can only do it by removing material from the stock forend. (It's "Mauser" btw) By shimming receiver one-sided you drastically reduce the amount of contact surface it has with the stock. The barrelled action is de-stablized, which explains the temperamental grouping.

To strengthen the stock, free-float the barrel with the action bedded. Then put couple coats of electrical tapes on the underside of the barrel. Paint the taped barrel with release agents. Now pour in some moulding plastic or fibreglass in to the hollow portion of stock forend. Place the barrelled action into the stock and use screws to anchor it securely. When the plastic is set, remove the barrelled action, remove the thick coat of release agent and tape, wipe the barrel channel clean, put the barrelled action back in, tighten the screw and you are set.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote