New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Blank Size
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to cut a walnut tree on my dads farm. When I have this sawed, what dimensions do I have the stock blanks cut to. Should it age before I have it sawed up? Should I have it kiln dried after sawing?

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight.......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've sawed a bunch of blanks 3" X 35" X 8" and in my experience they never dry naturally....some blanks have sat in the barn for over 30 years and still required kiln drying. Stock blanks should be under 6% IMO.

The dimensions leave a lot of room for warping and twisting...but it's what's worked for me.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RiverRat,
Most of my blanks are 36" x 2 1/4 to 2 1/2" thick by 6" at the butt and 3 at the tip and those are finished dimensions. They would be longer for a full length stock of course. Mine (when I buy green blanks, I no longer cut any wood)are always air dried as are all of the ones from folks like Dressels, Preslik, Wineland etc. It will dry in the air, it just takes time. Kiln drying can ruin a good blank, I would stay away from it.

[ 12-01-2003, 23:50: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really agree strongly with chic on not kiln drying. I have seen even english walnut ruined by kiln drying too soon. I've one in the vault that's just beautiful. A dark honey color with the most amazing chocolate swirls and smokey layers, prettiest thing you ever saw.. It's light as a feather and not the least bit hard.. Nice tight grain but a really poor stock. It'll work up OK but it could have been really special.. At least several years before the kiln or better yet, no kiln at all...

[ 12-02-2003, 09:16: Message edited by: gunnut69 ]

Posts: 49 | Location: central Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What a timely post!

I have a tree already cut up into lengths, and have a nice looking (so far!) base that contains the root ball. Should I cut the 3" slab centered in the tree or should it be to one side a little? I was thinking about cutting it a bit thicker then thinning it down a little at a time, but would like to know the proper way to do it first!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote