THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Found 6mm-284 built on Mex Mauser by Greg Tannell (Gre-Tan Rifles). Is it worth $625?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found 6mm-284 built on Mex Mauser by Greg Tannell (Gre-Tan Rifles). Is it worth $625?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found this rifle for sale locally at $625.00.
It has the following features:

-Chambered in 6mm-284 with tight neck, 1-10" twist
-Mexican mauser action. (I'm not intimately familiar with Mexican mauser actions. This one seems pretty clean. There is a Leopould bridge base installed, but no rings or scope. I could see part of the Mexican Eagle grasping a snake through the front hole of the base. There were some spanish words encircling the snake but, I couldn't make them out.
-Fiberglass sporter-weight stock.
-Bueller type safety.
-27" stainless sporter weight barrell. The thick barrel shank extends about three inches before it begins to taper. The inscription on the side of the barrel says that it was made by Gre-Tan rifles in 1995, gives the caliber (6mm-284), and .262" neck (I think that's what the neck was, but I'm not sure.). I don't know who made the barrel.
-Vaise muzzle break. You can barely see where the barrel ends and the break begins. It is installed very nicely.
-The trigger is nice for a mauser, but certainly nothing special.

That's it. I would buy this rifle mostly as an investment, although I might try getting it shooting just for the anal retentive fun of it. Any comments and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Greg built it then it is safe to say it will shoot and shoot well.
If i remember correct, $625 might get Greg to chamber and thread a barrel.

Its worth the $.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to neck turn brass to shoot it. Being 13yrs. old, the barrel maybe shot out. If I were buying it, I would value it at the price of the receiver+stock. Greg does good work, but that was awhile ago on the barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If would be nice to know if Greg checked the hardness of the bolt. Mexican Mausers have been known for problems with regard to heat treatment.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I probably wouldn't buy it for an investment. I'd figure the barrel is shot out but that may not be the case. If so, the only real added value MIGHT be the stock. It is probably worth the $625, but I don't see much upside for "investment". BTW, IMO buying guns for an "investment" is usually a piss poor idea unless you're buying them for your grandkids. OTOH if that's what you tell your wife, it works for me. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote