Find
Notify
Tools

Length of barrel vise bushing?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

What is the length of the bushing for Brownell's barrel vise?

Almost have mine done, and want to be certain that I can make the bushings accurately.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
3"

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make the barrel vises from 2x2 steel, so there is no point, for me, in cutting longer than 2" bushings.

Then the rear sight of a barrel interferes with the bushing, I make them even shorter.

So far I have gone through 8 feet of 1.5" Aluminum round stock.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My home made barrel vice is 1-1/8" and so are the bushings. I can get mauser barrels off without removing the rear sight base.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
mine's 1.5 because that's the width of the tractor draw bar I had for stock. LOL

I've been though about 3ft 1-3/8" aluminum stock for bushings.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Marlin,
Your bushings look just like mine.
Your fixture looks kind of like mine.

But I never let my barrel vise get on my granite surface plate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread... as I have one of these on my to make list... but I thougtht some would be using lead to cast their bushings so as to accomodate tapered octagon barrels easily? This is what my old gunsmith friend uses.

Any pros or cons with the lead bushing method?
Jeff P

Posts: 330 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I've only done one tapered octogon barrel and the barrel vice I made was opposing V-blocks with 1/2 the taper milled into the bottoms.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make a scope mount for an octagon receiver 91/30.

The shape should be easy to make, but bard to get a perfect fit the first time. A little epoxy makes it fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try some Devcon Plastic Steel..available from MSC and others...amazing stuff! will take plenty abuse

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I use linotype. Amazingly tough and instant use. I make a new bushing for every barrel, though I don't need to for standard factory bbls.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote