New
Find
Notify
Tools

We Are Getting A CNC Milling Machine!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We have a Bridgeport milling machine, which has been giving us fantastic service for many years.

A few years back, the control unit failed, and being so old, Bridgeport had no replacement!

So I took it apart, and found just a normal computer motherboard with a very old processor.

I had no idea what was wrong, but, this being Dubai, I drove to what we call “computer alley”.

It is road full of computer stores, and some of them do repair work as well.

At one place, the Indian gentlemen inside looked at the motherboard I had, no suggested I leave it with him.

He promised to look for one that can replace it in “a few days”.

Sure enough, good to his words, he called and said he had found one that he thought would work as a replacement.

He came over and installed it.

BINGO!

Everything was working just like before.

Now we have been using a CNC lathe fir a few years, we thought of retiring our Bridgeport and getting modern CNC mill.

We decided to get the CNCMASTERS Baron model mill.

I am hoping to get it installed next month after I get back.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you going to let walter near it??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
are you going to let walter near it??

NO!

He actually smashed our CNC lathe when we first got it, causing several thousands dollars worth of damage!

And he did in a typical Walter fashion.

He was expressly told not to touch it, and he accepted that.

But, he did manage to Walerize it.

The machine has a glass door, through which one can see the work in progress.

To the left of that glass door, is the control panel at a slight incline.

Walter was fascinated by the tools whizzing about inside, he got himself a cup of coffee, and story close to the machine watching it.

As he raised his cup to drink, he inadvertently touch one of the keys, altering the feed distance.

All of a sudden there was an almighty crunch, as the tool head hit the moving chuck!

We had to order parts from Austria, while the machine was in its Walterized state.!

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Walter sounds sort of like a (Shop Pet). That three legged dog, or broken tailed cat that's not to smart and is always underfoot, but everybody loves anyway! lol

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A pity you are not into double rifles.

Your set up would make it a good project to make a double rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Haas would have been my choice

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have and use Haas now and would try something else in the future if need be.

Posts: 715 | Location: fly over America, also known as Oklahoma | Registered: 02 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need a Bridgeport CNC for a small shop, this may work. My Uncle Bill bought this from a high school shop. They purchased it and found it was a 2 axis machine. and never used it. Uncle Bill bought it and made a 3 axis machine out of it. It is now a PC based machine with new stepper motors. It has about 2hrs total on it. It can be used as a manual mill also. It comes with a fair amount of tooling. $9,000.

No I don't think his 56 big block Chevy is for sale.
He might sell his Hardinge HLV-H lathe.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Looks just like our old one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Have you got any video, that you can post, of this thing chopping out a part ???

I'm converting a round column mill but I still love to see these things in action.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Looks just like our old one!

The difference is this one is almost unused and has all new updated electronics. How much is a new manual Bridgeport?

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
Butch,

Have you got any video, that you can post, of this thing chopping out a part ???

I'm converting a round column mill but I still love to see these things in action.

Don't now if Uncle Bill knows how to do a video. Do you know Phil Jones, Redback, in QLD or the Elliots, BRT Shooters Supply, in Springwwood?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, you will sure appreciate the cnc mill. We have a have Haas mill. www.fastcutcnc.com

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget about the CNC machine. What about the old Chevy in the background?

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
Forget about the CNC machine. What about the old Chevy in the background?

Uncle Bill has a bigblock with aluminum heads, cam, intake and nitrous. It has a 9" ford with a 4 link rear. It has a overdrive unit bolted to the rear of the transmission. All leather interior. He also has a 32 Victoria steel bodied coupe with a custom independent suspension and small block Chevy. Yes, they are both air conditioned.