New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser Sporter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Savage99: I contacted the seller and he has no problem with me returning the rifle. I don't see any other alternative but i really like the feel of this one, It has a just right weight and balance, Too bad it could not be easily altered to run with a common cartridge. It would make a sharp 303 Brit but i think the cost of the rail work would be more than the gun cost. I'm holding the gun now and it just speaks to me, Why couldn't it be a J bore 8mm rimmed or something else useful! Oh well, At least i can return it, Thanks for your help, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf: I just finished casting the chamber and measuring, And it looks like it is a 8.15x46R after all. Some of the measurments a off a few thousandths, But that is to be expected. The bore is actually .311 dia and the grooves about .3025, A little tight just like the rifle Savage99 has. The cerrosafe casting was a bit more filled out than the pure lead casting. Now my question is what do i do with this? I really don't want to form brass for an underpowered target cartridge. Also, Being a rimmed boltface it limits my options. I also measured the reciever rails and they have not been opened up, In fact they are a few thousandths tighter than a military 98 i measured. Maybe a 303 british with a bit of rail work and a rechamber. Anybody know of a really good mauser gunsmith that can do this kind of work right. What about welding up the boltface and recutting to standard dimensions? Any ideas? Thanks, Swede96.

Posts: 87 | Location: Woodbury, Ct. 06798 | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Swede, I sent a PM. Lets talk before you give up.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote