New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Precision question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have 7 rifles in Brown precision stocks and have never had a problem. 2 Weeks ago I picked up a just finished m700 with a 2# Lilja bbl in a pounder. Yesterday after putting a scope on the rifle I noticed that the off bolt side's forend was pushing hARD on the end of the barrel. I called the gunsmith(well known on this board) & he said he had sanded that side of the stock once in prep & 1 after painting. He is going to do it again saturday & we discussed glassing under the chamber.

Have any of you had simular problems?

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly the epoxy didn't cure properly originally or the stock was sitting in sunlight and was heated past 200 degrees which would make it possibly move.I have a Brown kevlar stock that had a slight bend in the barrel chanel-I heated it over a hot air heater before bedding it and it never moved again.
The best thing to do is talk to Brown Precision and see what they say about this-I always found them to be very good in dealing with people in the past .

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tOok your advice & talked to Mark Brown for about a hour, he said he had never seen a barrel channel warp. The suggested to check tha allignment of the recoil lug. I am going to the gunsmith's shop saturday.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I imagine you enjoyed that conversation as much as I did talking to his father . They always will take the time to talk no matter how busy they are. I glad to see nothing has changed .They have a video with Chet showing how to work on stocks and bedding-you would enjoy this I believe.
I remember some very good articles in the early Precision Shooting magazine on the trials and trouble in making these first stocks with Lee Six. Good people.
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote