New
Find
Notify
Tools

FLAIG'S Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a custom rifle in an Ontario Gun Shop based on an early SAKO L579 action. The barrel is stamped "FLAIG'S 250-3000". The style of gun and action serial no. would be consistent with an early 1960's date of fabrication. I am guessing that "FLAIG'S" is the name of the gunsmith who put the gun together. Does anyone know anything about him?

Thank you for any information that you could pass on.

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Flaigs was a mail order house in Millvale, PA.

They sold FN and Sako actions and barreled actions.

Their full page add in the American Rifleman had my slobber all over it every month.

American Rifleman- July '63

Sako L-46 or L-579 actions with ACE barrel was $80.

BTW- 1909 Argentines were $40. So were all matching numbered Lugers. $40!! [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Jack. Unfortunatly, I paid considerably more than $80 for the gun. [Roll Eyes] Were ACE barrels anything special?

Posts: 107 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1903a3, with the stamped floorplate, in 257 roberts, douglas XX barrel from them, in an inlaid stock, and shiney finish. Great work, wonderful rifle..

the throat is as long as i-10

talked to them about it about 10 years ago.. cost was amazing low, as they looked up the SN.

great great great gun

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I bet it has a Douglas barrel & when you take the action out of the stock look on the barrel right in front of the receiver lug & you will probably see a date stamped there. Thats the date it was barreled up.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<HBH>
posted
Flaig's, oh man I wish they were still around! It sat at the end of a twisty uphill evergreen covered slope. The store, and the woodshop had an old world feel, and just going there was an ocassion in its self.

At one time ther was good wood stacked deep, and selves and drawers full of FN and Sako actions in the white crying out for attention. I bought a FN single shot action there, a Super Grade pre -64, and my buddy bought a Ferlach drilling.

Those were the days.

Many Thanks

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up just a few miles from there. HBH described the setting well. Last time I was by there (a year or two ago), the old sign was still at the bottom of the driveway. Lots of fond memories of being a kid & going there with my father...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw : The underside of the barrel, just ahead of the recoil lug, is stamped "Douglas BWR 369 Premium" The Douglas Premium part I understand. Any idea about the interpretation of the BWR 369 part?