New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well guys I really stuck my foot in it this time. I was switching my Savage 110 from the syn stock to a wood stock, when the front action screw stripped. Looks like it pulled the treads from the action. Maybe the threads where old or maybe I put to much on the ol screwdriver. What is the best fix??? Any info will be very helpful.

Thanks
Bill

Posts: 216 | Location: Port Lavaca, Tx | Registered: 21 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you pick up your Latin?

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
How old was the action and how many times has the action been out of the stock? If the threads are pulled from the action about the only way to repair is to install a Heli-Coil of the proper thread pitch. Have it done by a Gunsmith or someone familiar with the process. No room for error or the action would be ruined short of welding up the hole and redrilling and tapping. Not to be taken lightly.
Good luck. Get a torque wrench after to avoid the problem again.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys. I think I will let a gunsmith fix my screw up. Do not want to waste the action.
KurtC.... I picked up the Latin while serving with good ole Uncle Sams Army. 3rd Ranger Div and 1st Group Special Forces.

Thanks Again
Bill

Posts: 216 | Location: Port Lavaca, Tx | Registered: 21 April 2004Reply With Quote