New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bedding block or not
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have seen a number of rifle stocks with an aluminum bedding block, intended for stability, accuracy without glass bedding, etc....my Rem 700 VS is one of them. I have been looking at some other stocks like McMillan, and if I read their site correctly, they mill out the fiberglass and use no bedding block. Is there a reason for one over the other? I noticed also that part of their custom service is to glass bed the stock to a customer's action.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm a believer in bedding ALL stocks whether they are the solid aluminum block design or not. You don't need a solid aluminum block. They are extremely stable (HS Precision), a little heavy, but not necessary. You can obtain the same benefit with other stocks such as the McMillan by adding aluminum pillars when bedding.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree ALL stocks should be bedded for the best possible results. The aluminum insert is an good attempt at making a stock a "drop in" and many times will shoot quite well, but bedding the block for a perfect fit will produce better more consistant results.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to sniper central and read a review / saw pictures of the savage 10 fcp Mcmillan, in its factory state. I suppose it lets the customer choose the method of bedding for their own purpose or desire.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote