New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oberndorf style sights photo needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working on my 6.5 X 55 project and it was suggested that I add iron sights to complete the look. Since I am not sure what type of sights would work I was hoping someone might have a photo of that type of rifle with iron sights. I will put a scope on sometime in the future but would still like to get the iron sights on.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't have a pic here but they were often one standing with either one folding or two. Not the British express style but hinged right up on either side of the standing blade. NEGC has both and a single-dovetail island band to match. But you could custom order a whole array of options including combinations of ladder and standing, British express and others. This is the single folding, the double has an identical folding blade on the backside but NECG doesn't show it on their site:

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHat model are you talking about? If you want what the Type B, M, and S sporters usually had, then go with the 3 leaf sight. One standing with one folding front and one folding back. Jeff's Outfitters has them, and NECG used to but not sure any more.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc
To be honest I don't know. killpc
Would you take a look at the photo and tell me what you think would look right on a rifle like this. It has a 21 inch barrel.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry, something happened and i had to run.

I was going to suggest getting a copy of Speed's book "Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles." It has a lot of good pics in it for oyu. They came with all kinds of sights-tangents, single leaf 1S1F 1S2F (one folding in each direction), what we would call "express sights" with 1S2,3,4F (all folding forward), and I am sure several others that are not popping in my mind right now

From what I have gathered, the most common sight for the models I mentioned was the 100yrd standing sight. 200yrd folding leaf folding forward, 300 yrd leaf folding to the rear.

Here is a link:

link to sight pic

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc
Thanks I will start a search for that book. Never have enough reading material.

NRA life member
NRA Golden Eagles member