THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher barral diameter - pros & cons??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted
I have decided in the 7x57 for this rifle (Thanks for the help) and I think I want a 22 inch barrel for it.

My main question is the barrel contour choice. Confused

Would a #1 barrel countour be a good choice for this project or would you go with a thicker diameter like a #3 contour (or any other suggestion)for stability & accuracy.

I am stocking this project with a full length stock made from a Murtle Burl blank I have been drying for 3 years.

Any suggestions are welcome, in fact, needed!! cheers

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I'm very suprised there are no opinions out there on this subject

There are a lot of Mannlicher style rifles out there I know.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I guess it was a stupid question.

I'll get the thin contour and leave it at that.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
if you are looking for my suggestion, keep the barrel at a MAXIMUM of 20" (less is better) and the #1 is plenty heavy. You are not building a benchrest rifle here. If that is what you want, then my suggestion would be to avoid the mannlicher stock. So there is your first suggestion

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark about the length and you about the #1. The full stock accentuates the barrel length and makes any particular barrel look longer than it's half-stock equivalent. I am going to do one next year at 19"; even 18" looks good.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote