Notify
Tools

Controlled feed. Technical question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted
Greetings all,
I have several masuer based actions and have never had any problems with feeding, however came accross a question I am unsure how to answer. With a loaded mag box, when you cycle the bolt back and the next round in the box is picked up and you proceed to chamber a round, at what point should the ctg jump out of the box, and how far up on the bolt face should the round be when it pops up. Reason I am asking is when using a RS bullet (rem factory) I get a slight hang on a few rifles. It is not a total hang, more like a hesitation. Anyway thought I would ask the powers that be.
Oh, I know if I reshape the extractor to allow them to pop up further onto the bolt face I risk extraction problems. I am looking to find out, ideally, the CORRECT operating method. Thanks all.
JAG
oregon

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jag,

How does the Remington bullets differ from other brands? Are they "Core-Lokt" bullets?
If they are Core-Lokt bullets then they are roundnosed and shorter, they will be climbing the feeding ramp later than a long bullet counterpart.

When will a cartridge pop out depends on the cartridge length, taper of magazine well lips and case head diameter, maybe few other factors. However, CRF(controlled-round-feed) creates a slot just above the ctg head, so at any moment as soon as the ctg pops out the claw gain control of it, there's no timing needed as long as it feeds without bending the cartridge.

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Yep round nose. Just wondering as I said before they hesitate for split second and then feed. This is due to the shorter COL and the round nose. I wonder though when the the ctg pops out of the box, (in a perfect world) should it move all of the way up the bolt face? Seems that coming further up the face of the bolt would result in less of on angle on the ctg thus helping remove this hesitation and allowing better feeding of differant length CTGs.

BTW i really dont ever shoot these loads, but was in a pinch and ran down and bought a couple of boxes. Usually, handloads or decent surp pending which rifle.

Thanks for the info,
JAG

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a control feed action the round should pop up and be fully enclosed about the time the bolt is half closed in a properly feeding Mauser..

In a Win. M-70 the bolt should show about 1-1/8" of the brass case when the case is fully contacted by the bolt face....in other words about 1/2" later than a Mauser.

Round nose and spitzers all pop into the bolt face at the same time in a properly tuned bolt action rifle.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Ray,
That was what I was looking for. Based on that the it is right were it should be (by the naked eye anyway). The round nose bullets, like I said "seem" to hang. I know that after many cycles of the bolt you get used to the feel. When these sysle they just feel like their dragging. Again probably not worth worrying about as this particuler rigle is a "plinker". Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Regards,
JAG
Hood River, OR

<500 AHR>
posted
Jag,

Are the bullets riding the breech cone? Often with round nose bullets they will drag on the breech cone (entrance into the chamber and a part of the receiver). You may need to polish this area a bit so that the bullets slide easier. I really suspect this is your problem.

If you are shooting a cartridge with a rebate rim (rim diameter less than cartridge diameter is you are not familiar with the term) the problem of the bullet draging on the breech cone is even worse. This situation typically however leads to a jam as the bolt overrides the rim.

Todd E

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put a little lamp black on the nose of the bullet and polish the feed ramp where it drags, but be very carefull as that drag you refer to is supposed to "bump" the round into the hole (chamber)...

If the gun is jam proof at this point then don't touch it, a drag is something you can train your mind to delete by simply squeezing your eyes shut, clicking your heels, and first thing you know, your back in Kansas Alice and all is well!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Thnks for the info.
I have concluded that it is the indeed the shorter round nose bullets with a sshorter COL. Now, I went and dug out another mauser (8mm vz-24, un-bubba-ed) and checked it and it suffered the same drag. When I loaded the mag box with 5 rounds, the 5 and third are the ones that you feel the drag on(coming from the right side of the box), and will jam if you cycle to slow. THe last round comes out fine. Anyway I think the gremlin has been found and I am just not going to use those round anymore. Thanks everyone.

JAG
Oregon