THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disappointed in PT&G WInchester bottom metal.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty disappointing at best.

A more detailed review would be beneficial

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.

It would have been nice to have seen a straddle floorplate.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Chuck what are you seeing that you don't like? I must be missing something. Confused

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
A picture is worth a thousand words.

It would have been nice to have seen a straddle floorplate.

Looks pretty good for $109. Of course, I bet if he doubled the price and made it a straddle, twice as many people would want it. Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Tripple the price for a straddle

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I'm odd, I never much cared for straddle floorplates. I install a lot though.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sure isn't false advertising. It looks very similar to an Oberndorf inside the trigger bow setup. Looks very nice to me.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if they can be easily fitted to pre-'64 actions? If they can, I have a good home for four of them.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
One.
You get what you pay for.

Two.
You can't compare a $400 part to a $109 part. There is a reason Duane charges what he does for his parts.
Which is still very reasonable

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup
The market Dave Kiff is aiming at is huge. The guy knows how to make a buck in this industry making a quality product of less-than-Guild refinement.

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
One.

Two.
You can't compare a $400 part to a $109 part. There is a reason Duane charges what he does for his parts.

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the price it looks better than OEM. If it would fit a pre 64 I'd put one on my Dad's old .270 Featherweight. I also don't particularly care for a straddle plate. They look nice but all the extra metal does is add weight.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good value to me.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
quote:
Originally posted by Nomo4me:
Yup
The market Dave Kiff is aiming at is huge. The guy knows how to make a buck in this industry making a quality product of less-than-Guild refinement.

quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
One.

Two.

There are probably 20 or more folks that can afford & are willing to spend 109.00 on the PTG bottom metels for every ONE that can afford 400.00 on a single top shelf unit. Two completely different markets. If you were making them which market would you target?
Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why we have Sabattis versus Heyms

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D Humbarger:
Chuck what are you seeing that you don't like? I must be missing something. Confused

+1

Do you have one in your hand to look at?

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is a great piece of machining for $109. If it is just the design you don't like, well that should not be a complaint about this one. If it is quality, I would be surprised as I have about 20 reamers from Dave, most of my own design, and he always does perfect work.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
How one can make any semblance of an intelligent or honest assesment from a stock photograph is beyond me.....

I agree the photograph used could be better.

But the product looks fantastic. And 4 for the price of one- a no brainer there.

I seriously doubt there is a significant quality difference, rather the price differential is more of a function of overhead.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They went to the trouble of straddling the 700 stuff for the same price. It's just too bad the didn't do it with the Model 70. And yes I have a bunch of their bottom metal.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
They went to the trouble of straddling the 700 stuff for the same price. It's just too bad the didn't do it with the Model 70. And yes I have a bunch of their bottom metal

So your issue is not the quality etc but that it isn't a straddle?

The m700 sraddle is more than they are asking for the M70.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS    Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading    Gunsmithing

It is with the design.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have one of these in hand? When I ordered one a year ago what showed up was a 700 style bottom metal for the Model 70. When I called and asked why the mix up I was told what I wanted did not exist. I asked why it was pictured on the website and they said it was an upcoming product. The pictured item, at the time, was not for a Mod 70.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id go with Williams for model 70 bottom metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fal Grunt:
Does anyone have one of these in hand? When I ordered one a year ago what showed up was a 700 style bottom metal for the Model 70. When I called and asked why the mix up I was told what I wanted did not exist. I asked why it was pictured on the website and they said it was an upcoming product. The pictured item, at the time, was not for a Mod 70.

I'll be interesting to see what they ship me. I just ordered an aluminum Oberndorf for my M70 Safari. We shall see when I get home.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote