New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Geometry pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is a Great American stock and a modified boyds JRS to compare.

This is supposed to be a Gary Goudy style but it looks like Darwin Hensleys style

Look how high the toe line is .
It looks goofy to me and makes the stock look fragile.
Plus the ebony is not square

I can send it back. what do you think?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you getting "seconds" from GAG??? If so, you have to expect some anomalies...

I see the stock is cut for the Neidner Plate- changing it would be a pain- cutting it off and installing a butt pad would be easy. As is, the pitch is about zero. I have a pic of a .404 Jeffery with identical geometry- looks unusual and I bet it does aid in taking the recoil...

The ebony is an easy fix- hack it off and epoxy it back on with some acraglass and black dye to your liking.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you getting "seconds" from GAG??? If so, you have to expect some anomalies...

I see the stock is cut for the Neidner Plate- changing it would be a pain- cutting it off and installing a butt pad would be easy. As is, the pitch is about zero. I have a pic of a .404 Jeffery with identical geometry- looks unusual and I bet it doesn't aid in taking the recoil...

The ebony is an easy fix- hack it off and epoxy it back on with some acraglass and black dye to your liking.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dbee, It is not a second.. So GAG says unless they are liers. Are they full of shit Debee? I use pacmyire Pads and I would cut it at 90 degrees to the comb , Piece of cake. The stock just looks like crap in the toe line to me . Cutting wood off the toeline isnt going to help recoil.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
It looks ok to me. There is enough wood there you can modify the wrist and cap into a more elegant profile. It will work.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No , there is 1/2 " of wood thats been removed from the toeline behind the grip.