New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken shell extractor??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who has/sells a "broken shell extractor" for a .243/6mm?? Looked at Midway, Brownell and Sinclair. Midway doesn't show one. Sinclair doesn't show them in their catalog and Brownell shows them but doesn't sell them anymore.
I'am working with a BR case. If I can find a .243/6mm I can change the tip from a .223 to a .308 base and do a 22BR case. Need a 6mm tip for the 6BR case. Got them in .223 and 30.06 for my range bag but I need a 6mm, just in case. Havn't needed one for the 6BR but you know if you don't have one, sooner or later you'll need it. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks in advance for your input,Mike.

Posts: 62 | Location: Potter Valley, Ca.125 mi. N. of SF | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I understand your problem and that being that a case has separated and portion remains in chamber?? If that is correct, have used a brass cleaning brush(45cal.) attached to one of those flex rod pistol cleaning tools and by inserting/forcing into chamber the brush bristles when pulled to the rear bite into the inside of the ruptured case and so far has always been able to extract the broken portion. I have broken case extractor tools for the M1A/M14, Garands, etc., but above approach works for me and no danger of scarring the inside of the chamber/throat. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First,thanks for your reply and input.This is not a broken case stuck in a chamber. I've heard about all the little tricks to get a broken shell out. I shoot a M1A and have had to use my case extractor "many times" to get it back to shooting. That's why I want one for my BR cases. Sooner or later I'll need one and it's real nice to be able to reach in your range bag, grab the extractor, pull the broken case and load another round. Sure beats heading home to work on pulling a "real stuck" case.

Posts: 62 | Location: Potter Valley, Ca.125 mi. N. of SF | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One can take a 20ga shotgun cleaning brush an use it to remove many stuck cases.

Another method is using a 7/16 tap turned into the stuck case then withdrawn.

Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote