Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ref to SAKO blowups
 Login/Join

posted
I certainly agree that it has been next to impossible to get a response from someone other than a "sales rep" at the gun store. Obviously he has a vested interest in making sure negative comments are avoided. You are correct....they should respond to the public.

posted Hide Post
Agreed!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very well written response by Hotcore. I also think you might be surprised at the number of people who read these posts with the background to make certain determinations about the cause of these incidents. Now I don't propose to be able to look at the pics and determine the cause, but a few things about the "failure" are pretty self evident. I think the statement that the "failures have not been confirmed", is a little irresponsible. I know there are some strange people in the world and a lot of strange things happen, but I can't imagine some nefarious individual spending the kind of money a Sako costs and then having some hand in making it blow up. Not to mention this would have to have taken place, nearly simultaneously, on, at least, a couple of different continents.

I think it's safe to say, the rifles did blow up. Sako is doing next to nothing to alleviate concerns and/or fend off any further injuries. We are concerned and we deserve answers. If it takes witholding our purchases from Sako/Beretta to get their bean counters attention, then I'm all for it. As far as I'm concerned, if the management of Sako/Beretta don't get their act in gear, then let them buy and shoot their own guns. It isn't like we don't have dozens of other alternatives. I'll say it again, and I know it sounds like I'm beating the drum, but,, You would NEVER see a company like Ruger handle this situation so poorly, and as a result, I have total faith in them and their management. I may not agree with everything they do, but I trust their judgement, and no I'm not connected with them in any way, except to be an owner of their guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw some new info on the stiuation on another forum. I think it's important enough that I'm copying the post verbatum.

quote:
Today Sako has announced pressrelease in Finland about blowups.
According to Helsingin Sanomat (biggest newspaper in Finland), general manager Henry Paasikivi says that 2700 rifles were affected with "material problem". According to mr Paasikivi,6 rifles has been exploded worldwide.
All affected rifles has been reached for repair,exept the rifles in US, Paasikivi stated.

If I find some more accurate information,ill pass it here.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's very interesting .Finally some action.I wonder how many of the 2700 were sold in the USA.....While on the subject of recalls - the other day I picked up a small tank of propane for soldering etc .It was from Bernzomatic and had a tag on it -it was a recall notice .Certain Bernzomatic camp heaters might produce carbon monoxide gas. The heaters involved were made in 1962-1966 !!! That's a recall notice.

posted Hide Post
This is not on the blowup topic but seems to be widely read. Why aren't there more double triggers on sniper type rifles? My guess is a liability question. seems to me from my limited experience this is the best/most sensitive trigger available.

Posts: 2 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mw999:
This is not on the blowup topic but seems to be widely read. Why aren't there more double triggers on sniper type rifles? My guess is a liability question. seems to me from my limited experience this is the best/most sensitive trigger available.

I think ya shuda started a new post. All you needed was a catchy heading. "Sniper Rifles"
would do it.
Hells everyone want Sniper rifles? Varmint rifles are quite adaptable :-)
One board I was on till they made it too hot for
me was full of Cops with "tactical" rifles.
They couldn't handle one trigger even. :-)
Because of the Dept. Heads/Regs. they had to
take a stock Remsomething, with a 5-8lb trigger
and make do. Even their armours wern't game to
adjust a "factory" trigger.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi fellas.
Im affraid I know wery well the person who gave the hint to newspapers,anyway it was in Finlands main newspaper HELSINGIN SANOMAT last saturday and today(sunday)
Some details follows....

Main header on frontpage..saturday

"OF SAKO Ltd GOT OUT DANGEROUSLY BREAKING ARMS"
The company have in full silence collected back almost 3000 rifles.
it is possible that the control systems will be renewed in several countries because of this misfortune.

The vise president of Sako Mr Henry Paasikivi told that 6 rifles have exploded,one of them in Finland,one in Sweden.
As Mr Paasikivi it was question of failure in one lot of stainless steel barrelmaterial.

Rifles made of this lot of steel was made and distributed world wide,U.S and New Zeeland.

In Finland 108 people bought this gun,three of them ordered it from US.

"all gunowners are aware of situation and have
returned rifles to Sako,exept U.S where some of the consumers still have minor part of theese rifles."

"Rifles left Sako can cause a renewing in internatonal guncontrolling systems in order to avoid such incidents"
Says Mr Esa Puurtinen (headinspector)of Ministry of interior,
Lottery and Arm-Administraton.

Mr Paasikivi: "ewery gun was testshot twice on factory"

As Mr Puurtinen "it is fery rare that rifle passes the pressure test and the failure activates later"
"this have newer happened in Finland,and I have newer heard of such elsewhere either"

Sako became aware of the danger in october 04 and stopped ammidiately production and started to recall them in silence.

Sako did not give anykind of warning to public of exploding arms.
"we did not find it necessary because we thought that we can reach the customers by other means" says Mr Paasikivi.

"we have got all guns back,exept U.S of where we have got 90% of guns back,anyway all customers have been contacted time ago"

Mr Puurtinen of Ministry decided of the announcement transactions in Finland and elsewhere.
Mr Puurtinen: "it is wery embarrassing happening to the controlling official and manufacturer"

He denies that imago and reputation matters was reason for silence.

Sundays newspaper....

Header.. SAKO RIFLE EXPLODED IN HANDS OF AMERICAN SHOOTER.

Mans hand was operated four hours.

Washington.."a 45 yrs fire-foreman Mark Almeida went to shooting range....
Ok ,the whole story is written here,what and how it happened,splitters was flying and lucily bystanders didnt hurt themselves badly..

The rifle was Sako 300 WSM Finnlight,purchased from Oregon,he found from the start some accuracy problems with it,he sent it back for checking but nothing was found,then came the blast.
Mr Alameida was asked to return the splitters but he refused,he want to keep them as evidence of this incident.

In the net have been few equal cases,two from Canada,two from Nort-Dakota and one fron Sweeden,where a yuth lost hes thumb partly.

Ok...abowe was few main things of this article,it was in HELSINGIN SANOMAT newspaper twice with half page size,so now ewerybody knows,Im sure this will not end to this,we will hear more how things run later..

safe shooting..

Elias