Notify
Tools

O/U Hinge Pin Grease
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted
Hi All,

I am seeking some advise on using an EP grease (Mobil XHP 222 EP) on the hinge pins of a competition O/U shotgun.

Is it suitable for this purpose ?

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease on all of the shotguns that enter my shop as lubricant for over 20 years. I still have not even scratched the amount in the 1 lb. can I bought.

A little goes a long way and it is very good at lubrication. Warning: if you put too much on it will cause the material to "bunch up" inside the action and collect dirt and powder residue. I use a cotton swab lightly coated with the grease to apply to all hinge pin, sides of the monobloc, and ejector hammer joints. Like the old Brylcreem commercial..."a little dab will do ya".

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I forget the recipe, but George Hoenig mixes his own concoction for his rotary rifles. It’s Mobil 1 and redline(?).

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best I have found is CMD Lube extreme pressure lube, I use it on the lathe steady but it is amazing on the hinge pins, they also make a gun specific oil.
https://www.cmdlubeoil.com/
BB

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Any of the EP rated(Extreme Pressure) greases will work perfectly.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Something with a high timken rating. I did a whole bunch of google-fu years ago and ended up with some green synthetic stuff from Advance Auto.

Don’t know how much it matters for the volume I shoot.....but it’s enough to whip BaxterB

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for quite a while for all gun grease applications. It seems to work quite well. One tube will last more than a lifetime.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think any quality grease will work fine. Just remember to apply sparingly.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having worked in the Aerospace industry as a material controller back in the olden times I had access to a number of ungodly slick petroleum products most of which I liberated for MANY uses in my vehicles, guns and other toys. Many were for EP and High temp applications. NO names just Mil spec numbers. Pretty much any "stiff" action went almost totally "loosy-goosy" and stayed that way with one sparing application.

I also found that "trailer hitch ball" and "wheel bearing" greases worked exceptionally great on hinge points, trigger sears and bolt lugs and were MUCH cheaper than the tiny tubes of "bolt grease" sold by the "smart ones". All you have to do to make your million is to repackage something and say "it's the best thing since sliced bread for gun application" and your well on your way. Roll Eyes Big Grin Wish I were astute enough to do so. Frowner rotflmo homer

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies much appreciated.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its in the application more than the substance up to a point..I asked a well known English double rifle person that same question and they said Vaseline!! I just didn't have the heart for that, it ruined the mystique! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41957 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote