New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester pre-64 model 70 safety questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a couple pre-64 model 70 rifles with the older safety styles, that I'd like to modify to the more current look and function. One has the Type I style and one has the Type II-1 style. Can anyone tell me what would be required to end up with a "Classic" style safety - (i.e., that has the full "dog leg" lever and has three positions: rearward being safe and locked bolt, middle being safe and unlocked bolt, forward being fire)? Can I purchase and substitute a Type II-2 or Type III safety on my existing bolts? Is that straightforward to do? Am I better off purchasing and installing an aftermarket bolt (e.g., Ed LaPour)? thx

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get original equipment for WWW.pre64Win.com

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Did that older style of safety stick up behind the rear open sight to any extent? I have finally worked out that old hands in Africa maybe like the Mauser wing safety because in the high position you can't see the sights over it - the safest safety in a tight spot.

Posts: 5117 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S. Texan:
I have a couple pre-64 model 70 rifles with the older safety styles, that I'd like to modify to the more current look and function. One has the Type I style and one has the Type II-1 style. Can anyone tell me what would be required to end up with a "Classic" style safety - (i.e., that has the full "dog leg" lever and has three positions: rearward being safe and locked bolt, middle being safe and unlocked bolt, forward being fire)? Can I purchase and substitute a Type II-2 or Type III safety on my existing bolts? Is that straightforward to do? Am I better off purchasing and installing an aftermarket bolt (e.g., Ed LaPour)? thx

I believe the internals are the same for either. What you need is the shroud with the lever in the later configuration. They are out there, keep looking

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tilden safeties for a PW Model 70 are a great option. They use the original shroud but relocate the lever to the right side of the bolt. I have 2 of them on PW M70's. They are hard to find and expensive but you do see them for sale once in awhile.

The bolt handle on the PW M70 is a real problem with clearance on many scopes and ring mount combinations. Often a high ring is required just to clear the bolt handle.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pre war rifles present a problem because when the post 48 bolt shroud and safety is installed the safety will hit on the bolt when the bolt is lifted, requiring alteration of the bolt handle. I really love the shape of pre war handles and would not alter. The suggestion for a Tilden would not require alteration of the bolt handle.

Posts: 249 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
disassembly - thank you, that is exactly the type of info I needed, and the type of knowledge that the AR community offers. I had not thought about that issue, was more focused on function of the safety itself between Types. Looks like I'm on the hunt for a Tilden. thanks again.

Posts: 235 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen the Tilden safety for sale off and on on eBay.

I believe Jim Wisner used to make a copy of the Tilden but don't know if he still does or if he has any left over.

It is a great safety for the PW M70. As mentioned,, the shape of the PW M70 bolt handle is really attractive. I also prefer the clover leaf tang to the later one.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote