New
Find
Notify
Tools

building a 257 weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am interested in having a 257 weatherby built and am wondering on what actions would make good candidates? I was thinking of a rem 700 or win 70. I want the gun to be as reliable as possible. I am new to having custom guns made so I dont really know if one action would be better then the other.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Brett

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BP,
I suggest you visit the www.24hourcampfire.com forums. Many, many happy custom 257 Weatherby owners reside over there and lotsa good info too. MtnHtr

[ 12-01-2002, 05:30: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up MtnHtr i'll check 24hourcampfire out.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, and I repeat, this is my opinion. First, I am not a Weatherby fan, too much powder, too much expense on the brass, too much kick, etc. NOw, if you insist, I would recommend the Remington 700 and a good barrel for accuracy. Secondly, make sure the guy that does the chambering does not use the standard WBY chamber reamer with the long throat. This is detrimentalto accuracy. Third, if you are a beginner, forget everyting I said, I don't want you loading to WBY velocities with that short throat.

Jim

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree with Jim Kobe on the Wby reamer.

They can shoot real well if the freebore is real close to bullet diameter and they can also be a real pain.

A mate of mine has just had a 25/300 Winchester done. RCBS had the dies and the reamer was JGS. Saeed has loading data on his site and accuracy results.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/25300.html

Mike

[ 12-01-2002, 19:46: Message edited by: Mike375 ]

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about getting rid of the long throat. I reload my own so I wouldnt be shooting any factory stuff.

Brett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bullet proof, if you are going to roll your own anyway, you would probably be better served with the 25-300 Win. Not because it's any better of a cartridge, but if you ever sell the 257 Wby someone, somewhere will put factory ammo in it, and without the long throat things WILL go boom in the night. Just a thought - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote