THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anything comparable to the McMillan Edge for Mauser actions?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anything comparable to the McMillan Edge for Mauser actions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anything comparable to the McMillan Edge for Mauser actions? I have a Polish small ring WZ-28 that I am considering building into a light and handy 9.3. Inspired by rifles owned by Phil Shoemaker and a couple of other fellas on AR. Their rifles are built on pre-64 featherweight actions using Mc-Edge stocks. Thanks in advance. Matt

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on how much work you want to put into it an MPI Mountain rifle stock in Carbon Fiber can be finished out at less than a pound, and be fit to almost anything.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can order most of McMillan's stock styles in Edge technology and also can often fit a Mauser into some of the uninletted blanks intended for other actions...or, have a good smith do this.

I have a 1946 Mod. 70 action, sts Classic Fwt barrel and in a Sako Classic Edge Micky, it requires some building up of the grip at the tang, but, that is not "rocket science".

I also have an original Brno ZG-47, with shiney receiver, chambered 9.3x62 at the Brno Works, which Martini Gunmakers put into a Browning Safari Micky Edge stock for me and this rifle is so close to "perfect" that I have no words for my joy at owning it.

Soooo, call Dick Davis and talk with him, he is a really nice guy and has always been patient and friendly when answering my myriad enquiries on odd-ball mountain rifle projects.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dewey. Do you happen to have an opinion on which McMillan stock might work best for my project? It will be an open sights only rifle, using a receiver sight. Matt

Matt
FISH!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id go Sako Classic in edge trim for a Mauser 98 build.
I actually have a mint/unissued DWM 1909 Argy, a Lilja stainles steel Win FW contour barrel and a Pacific Research stock ready to go.
Sadly these stocks are no longer made as they were excellent in every regard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can the Echols Legend be made compatable with small ring 98? I really like the long/open grip.

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I have spoken at length with both Darcy Echols and McMillans in the past about some new offerings for the m98 Mauser rifles.

Darcy says his Legend pattern is ONLY designed to work with Standard and magnum length pre/post 64 M70s. He will not cut them for any other action. At about $20,000 total tooling cost for a new pattern and the molds, Darcy is not too keen on making an m98 Legend pattern just yet.

McMillan will not make "hybrid" stocks either. If an outer stock pattern was not designed for a certain barreled action or class of actions they will not cut any other inlet for it.

I have suggested to McMillan many times that at the very least they need to adapt their Edge Compact stock desgin to the M98 Large ring. At least offer one basic m98 commercial inlet . Nothing yet.

At this point in time, the best two options are either the McMillan Classic pattern for the m98 (which is really just molded copy of the late 1980s Heym factory classic stock) or order a Bansner lightweight Classic for the m98.

In either case, they weigh about 25 ounces all up with pad and paint in a full sized classic pattern and cheek piece.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim62. Will the Bansner stock allow me to comfortably use a receiver sight?

Matt
FISH!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both my best friend and I have a number of Micky stocks inletted for actions other than those said stock is listed for, however, just last week, he mentioned that one of the staff at McMillan's had just told him that this would no longer be an option. My guess is that too many guys were buying "hybrid" stocks, finding the fitting chore beyond their abilities and then demanding a refund.....

I had a pair of D'Arcy's Legends, one std, and one Edge here, they were inletted for P-64 Mod. 70s and were to go on my matched pair of near mint rifles in .300 and .375H&H. I do not care for the high, reverse slope comb and my buddy took them and sold them to another friend of ours.

I like Rimrock stocks very much, have six or seven of them on various P-64s and so forth and also wish that they were still available. However, these are really a "scope" style of stock and would not be my choice for your purposes.

All in all, the Mauser style offered by McMillans is probably your best choice, I really like mine on my ZG and custom-fitted to my '46-P-64 and would love to have a few more like them. This, should work and any decent smith can fit it for you, although, I would actually send your metal to Mcmillans and have them do it all.

Bansners are OK, but, I prefer Micky's to anything available, except when I cannot get the pattern-action I need from them.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
McMillan will not make "hybrid" stocks either. If an outer stock pattern was not designed for a certain barreled action or class of actions they will not cut any other inlet for it.

Unless this is a recent change in policy, this is not true at all.
Call McMillan and ask what they can do, but keep in mind that some stock just are not compatible. IE trying to stuff a model 70 into a Remington MR stock.
I do know that McMillan inlets the Sako Classic for the Mauser 98. This would be a fine stock for a Mauser 98 with open sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Ben but it IS TRUE..

A "hybrid" stock is one that McMillan does not deem a good fit to the outer pattern..

While some stocks patterns originally designed for other guns will work other inlets, The problem is it takes quite a bit of time in measuring and protoype work for each new inlet addition to make sure they can achieve a good fit.

The bottom line is they will not inlet for any barreled action in any pattern just because you ask for it.They will not "shoehorn" an action in a stock pattern that they know will not fit..

It varies from pattern to pattern, but I can tell you with CERTAINTY they WILL NOT make an m98 Inlet in their Edge compact design. At least not right now.

I certainly do encourage folks to call and ask. If they get enough calls, they might build a new Edge Compact outer mold just for the Mausers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Sako classic can be had with Edge construction and that's the route I would take.

one of us
posted Hide Post
COLORADOMATT
i bought 3 mcmillan stocks,one edge and two glass stocks for my Satterlee M98 . I bought them as flat tops/uninletted, and had Satterlee inlett them
going that way you get exacly what you want.....see if some one can do the inletting
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
COLORADOMATT
i bought 3 mcmillan stocks,one edge and two glass stocks for my Satterlee M98 . I bought them as flat tops/uninletted, and had Satterlee inlett them
going that way you get exacly what you want.....see if some one can do the inletting
Daniel

Daniel,

Could you post some pictures of your guns?

Thanks

I am also interested in this topic.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[ PM SENT

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote