New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel vise
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using a LaBounty action wrench and bench mount steel clamping vise for a while now. With this setup I have removed several barrels so far but in all cases, I did not care about the barrel being removed so I clamped it tightly against the jaws of the vise and then turn it with that massive LaBounty action wrench. However, I am getting ready to remove a good barrel that will be remounted so I need a profesional quality barrel vise to do it properly. I was looking at the Brownells steel clamping barrel vise assembly but it looks very long (4" in length?) and I don't think it will fit over the shank lenght of the barrel since the distance between the sight base and the reciever is shorter. I am looking for a barrel clamping vise to be just long enough (1.5-2" most) to cover the shank of the barrel. Any insight about this problem? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the vise that midway has, I have seen this vise personally. it might be what your looking for.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
The Brownells vice is excellent. Why can't you remove the rear sight? Is it soldered on?

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You don't have to remove the sight, just make a bushing to fit between the sight and the front of the receiver.

Posts: 17 | Location: Shelbyville, Ky. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you worried about gouging or scratching the barrel? If so I would suggest you just buy a pack of lead shims. Brownells car Here ies them

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Some sights are difficult to remove, especially those with an intergal sight base. I don't see any reason to have the barrel vise longer than the shank lenght of the barrel, which should be about 2" max. Thanks to a member of this forum, I found a vise that might work for me but I don't know for sure until I have it in my hands.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3621072884&category=31709#ebayphotohosting

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<RVB>
posted
Here is one I made with a 6 ton hydraulic jack and few pieces of metal and two 3/4" bolts. Check it out in my photo album at www.  - RVB Precision Shooting web page rvbprecision.com

<RVB>
posted
BTW........I make barrel blocks out of Aluminum and contour them to particular barrels with Brownells Steel Bed. They work great and haven't scratched a barrel yet. Lots of powdered Rosin helps!  -

one of us
posted Hide Post
RVB,

Thanks for the info. You got a very unique barrel vise there. I like the idea of bedding the block specifically to a barrel contour. I will have to keep that in mind when I work on my vise. Also, you got a good website there with a lot of info. I just read an article on your website about accuralizing the Ruger No. 1...very interesting indeed. Thanks.