THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6BR with 70-105grs. bullet, which twist?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tomjac
posted
I have calculated the twist with 105grs. A-max to be 8", and with 70grs. TNT to be 12".

If I choose 8" will the TNT be to stable and loose some in the precision categori? I will use this mostly with 90-95grs. for deer hunting.

http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/ref_data/TwistRateCalc.asp

Posts: 191 | Location: Kolbjørnsvik, Norway | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
The 6mm BR case is too small to do 105 grain bullets any good.

I'd stick with a 1-12 barrel and limit bullets to 85 grains.

The 75 gr. Barnes X bullet is the best thing to happen to the small 6mm cases. They penetrate better than most 90 grain big game bullets, they stabalize in a 1-12 twist and can driven fast enough to do a good job.

<David>
posted
I shoot a 6BR in 1000yd Benchrest. It has and 8 twist. I shoot 107gr Sierras and it does very well at 1000 yds. Muzzle vel is a measured 2925 fps in a 29" barrel with Varget and Fed 205M primers. You will also need a different reamer than is standard for the 6BR Rem. If you use that standard reamer, you will have to seat the bullets too deep and you will not have much room left for powder. I used a custom reamer with a longer throat to accommadate the long 107 gr bullets. Also if you plan on shooting Lapua brass, make sure you let the reamer maker know. Lapua brass is a couple thousandth larger at the base and may not chamber in a match chamber made for 6BR Rem brass.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While the 6BR works well as a long range cartridge with the 105s I don't think I would be too concerned with using these heavier bullets in a hunting rifle. A ten or twekve inch twist will work well with those bullets which will work well to hunt with. These slower twist absolutely will not shoot the 105s however. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote