New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAAMI specs.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where does SAAMI hide their specifications for dimentions of chambers and reamers? Some books list a few chamberings but I have yet to be able to find a complete listing for all calibers that are SAAMI approved.

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a copy of Dave Kiff's chamber drawings from Pacific Tool and Guage and these include most of the SAAMI dimensions. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3765 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Shortstop,

RCBS publishes a book called "Cartridge and chamber drawings". This book covers 119 different chamberings, illustrating both the chamber dimensions and the cartridge dimensions for each one. These include notations on when the cartridge was designed, introduced, operating pressures and other interesting tid bits. It details useful minimum and maximum dimensions.

Malm

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I took a look around the SAAMI website, and I see the standards listed and priced; however, no way to order them.

If you find that, I would be interested as well.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, another Pandora's Box, chamber specs.

I have Dave Kiff's book (The Gunsmith's Book of Chamber Prints, order from Pacific Tool). It is very valuable, has a lot of reamer drawings (Note: This is a book of reamer drawings, not the SAAMI max/min chamber specs, however, Dave has a space on the drawing for the "Source", and credits where the numbers come from. Many are SAAMI). Another note, not all cartridges and chambers are SAAMI. Many are "wildcats", some are propriatary, and some are CIP (CIP is the ruling agency in Europe).

Now, there is a publication, which I have, titled "American National Standard Voluntary Industry Performance Standards for Pressure and Velocity of Centerfire Rifle Sporting Ammunition for the Use of Commercial Manufacturers". This book is sponsored by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, Inc., which to us is SAAMI. This is another must have for the gunbuilder, as it is the true "bible" containing both chamber specs and cartridge specs, in drawing format, with the maximum and minmum dimensions for both the cartridge and the chambers. Also includes no. of grooves, bore dia., groove dia, groove width, twist, and several other important dimensions. Note, this book only has "SAMMI" dimensions. So, if you want this book, the reference number is ANSI/SAAMI Z299.4-(year of publishing). Published by SAAMI, I do not have their current address.

What is real interesting in the SAAMI book is to compare the maximum chamber dimensions to the minimum cartridge dimensions. AhHa! This tells you where the famous case buldges come from, especially in the belted cases. And one can see just why guys that fool with high accuracy rifles go to great lengths to dimension the chamber reamer close to the brass used.

The SAAMI book also has chamber specs for the Standard Velocity and Pressure Test Barrels, and dimensions for the Universal Receiver Test Barrel, with transducer locations. Plus pressure test procedures, interpretation of pressure tests, and a lot more info.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
www.clymertool.com is another place to find reamer specs.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SAAMI does sell there manuals, they just hide the correct web page. It's under the "Community/PR" menu selection, not the "Technical" or "Publications" where I would expect it to be.
Does anyone know if CIP (the european equivilant) sells manuals of the european cartridge specs?

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the posts. You have all been really helpful. Vernon

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortshot,
The book "Handloading" 1981 by William C. Davis and the NRA has the SAAMI cartridge and chamber drawings with tolerances. This book is out of print and sold out everywhere on line, but it shows up on Ebay sometimes ~$20, and I have got copies for as little as $3 at gun shows. Being 1981 means the 10mm, 40 S&W, 357 SIG, 300 RUM, etc are not in it.

CMcDermott,
Thanks.
I have looked for those specs for sale at that site a dozen times over the years and never found them.
Thanks.

John Ricks,
Looking at the tolerances and measuring, I find most cartridges and chambers to be at the small end of thier allowable size.

Ol` Joe,
I use the reamer design file at the Clymer website allot, and I would buy from them, but I like Manson's prices better.

G.Malmborg,
Does RCBS give the tolerances in those drawings?

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Clark,

Yes they do...