Tools

Home made rifling press
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
Have at it fella's Big Grin Wink

https://youtu.be/J3pDlKxou6Y

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 8036 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see this guy setting up shop on the Kyber Pass to do AK barrels. Pretty ingenious though.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An interesting video. I have been toying with the idea of building a CNC cut rifle machine from a scrap lathe. Too many ideas....not enough time or money.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fancier than the one in my "Foxfire" book...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Too bad he has so many comments/questions and no answers for any of them!
Interesting project.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4259 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Shilen isn’t much more complicated. They pull the button through spinning the barrel and using a hydraulic ram pulling at consistent speed. Their contraption looks pretty similar though.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Couple of comments;
You can buy rifling buttons on eBay for $16. Those, and the way he did it, rely solely on the helix of the button to create the twist.
That is the cheap way to do it as it requires only a hydraulic ram. The guy in the video spent a lot of effort making the rod supporting mechanism.
However, the best, and most accurate way to button rifle is to do it like Douglas does. The rifling button is pushed though, and it is Gear driven to insure uniform twist rates. That is the reason they only offer whole inch twist rates; they use old school, hard gears to insure the uniformity of twist.
Well proven method.
Of course, reaming and stress relieving is vitally important too.
The video might put grooves in the tube, but there is a lot more to making n accurate button rifled barrel.
Which is why I only use Douglas Barrels, and yes, I have used all the others, except for that one which shall remain nameless.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote