New
Find
Notify
Tools

case stuck in chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot my 7/08 and the case seperated anyone know how to get it out without taking it to a gunsmith?Tried putting kroil oil in and removeing it with a screw driver didn't work don't want to scratch up the chamber.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick a new 45 cal bore brush in the case, from the breech end. Pull the case out. The brissles will wedge in the case and extract it easily. The chamber brushes on the M-1 Garand combo tools usually work too.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Don't use a screwdriver I ruined a chamber once that way. Also don't use a tap it can ruin the chamber. If it is a bolt action point the muzzle up and let the bolt drop the kinetic energy often will cause the broken shell to come out. If not bump the but of the gun on the ground. Some times you can use a cleaning rod with a flat ended jag to catch the end of the broken shell and push it out. If none of these work it would be cheaper to pay a gunsmith than to ruin the chamber making the rifle worthless IMHO.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are absolutely averse to paying a gunsmith, the oversized brush should work, especially if you've already soaked the chamber with Kroil. If not, put the barrelled action in the deep freeze overnight. Direct a hair dryer on the chamber portion of the barrel just long enough to effect a slight change in the barrel temperature without heating the brass inside. Then try your oversized brush again. If this doesn't work, pay a gunsmith. It's not worth ruining your chamber.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've watched my gunsmith take out a separated case with just a big patch. Usually there is no problem with the case coming out...you just need something to snag onto it. A big fuzzy patch will usually catch on something. Good luck.

And whatever you do keep the screew drivers the hell away!

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ECHO Broken Shell Extractor
Brownell's #769-100-708
$12.73

I have them for my .223 and .308. Don't need them very often, but when I do they work well.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows finally got it out with a chamber brush,made for the MI

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote