New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazzaroni line
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering?
What are youre thoughts on the Lazzaroni line of cartridges?

I'm wondering about a 7mm or 30 cal. like the Patriot or the Warbird , but I have no refrences to how they perform. What I'm thinking of especially is:
Accurasy ,twist rates, brass,reamer and die availabilety , what action to use , any known or experiensed problems etc???

S [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 24 | Location: USA/Norway | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
DB Bill knows more about Lazzeroni than most anyone around here. If you are after high performance cartridges, look no further.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Do a "Search". Because of the quality of the brass available, I wouldn't own one. The cartridges do perform.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lazzeroni line of cartridges are the real thing but they aren't inexpensive. I personally think the longer cartridges like the Warbird (.30 caliber) are really barrel burners and as such are very specialized rifles for the experienced rifleman who typically needs to take longer shots and only uses his rifle for hunting...plus you really need a long barrel (26"+) to take advantage of all the case capacity....might be perfect for a long-barreled Ruger #1.

I have two of his short-action cartridges...the first was made by Lazzeroni. It is the .375 caliber he calls the 9.53 HellCat...very nice rifle and very accurate and basically duplicates almost anything an H&H will do. I also had a Patriot built by a custom gunsmith using a McMillan action (same as Lazzeroni uses) and it is the real deal too.

If you want a rifle chambered in one of the Lazzeroni cartridges and don't want to pay $5,000 I suggest you contact Tom Welch at Bansner's Rifles...they probably make more than anyone around and is in fact recommended by Lazzeroni.

As to cost, yes the brass is expensive but with proper care will last a long, long time. I anneal mine every 4th or 5th firing and I have some that have been annealed 3 times and are still going strong. Dies will run around $100.00.
Someone commented on brass quality but I haven't had any problem....out of maybe 300 pieces of brass I may have discarded 10 (actually use them for loading fouling shots)..they are quite thick.

If you are looking for performance at a lower cost, I would suggest you look at the Remington UltraMags for the big boomers and either the WSM or SAUM for short-action cartridges. They will come close to the performance of the Lazzeroni cartridges at a much lower cost...again I would suggest Mark Bansner Rifles for a custom rifle.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shadrek,
Lazzeroni also offers the Sako TRG-S in 7.21 Firebird and 7.82 Warbird, and the Savage 16LZ in 7.82 Patriot if you are looking to get in at reduced cost.
They have all of the factory ammo, dies, brass and some bullets in stock.
Just be aware that Lazzeroni factory ammo uses specially sized and lubed bullets. You can purchase sized and lubed .284", .308" & .338" bullets from Lazzeroni to reload maximum performance handloads.
Check ou the Lazzeroni website at: http://www.lazzeroni.com/index.htm

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you al for input

I think I might go for the 7.82 Patriot , but I'm still wondering of what action to use??
Anyone used a H-S or a Remington 700 action for one?

S

Posts: 24 | Location: USA/Norway | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Lazzeroni started out using Remington Model 700 actions and then moved to the McMillan MCR-T.
A lot of gunsmiths will build the Patriot on the Rem 700 but I think the bolt is too small for an adequate margin of error....but I've also never heard of anyone who has had problems with that conversion.

If you are serious about having one built, I would call Mark Bansner and talk to him about what is involved in conveting the various actions. He'll know you won't be having him do the conversion but I'm sure he will talk to you about it. Take a look at his web-site as he discusses the Lazzeroni line and what he charges etc. It's either www.bansnerrifles.com or very close to that. Good luck with your project.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote