New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Weatherby Won't Feed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a .300 Weatherby Magnum that my wife purchased for me for Christmas several years ago. It would not shoot less than a three inch group at 100 yards with anything.

I sent it back to Weatherby. They claimed it shot well and they promised the targets with the tight groups would be sent back with the rifle. You guessed it, no targets and the rifle shot the same, terrible. I got fed up with them and the hassles and finally had it rebarreled with a Pac Nor barrel and had Superior Ammunition work up a load for it. It now shoots 3/4 to 1/2 inch groups consistantly at 100 yards.

The problem is that it will not feed reliably. The tip of the bullet is slamming into the edge of the chamber ramming the bullet back into the case. It will not do it every time only occasionally and it does it with all bullet types. It's now been to SEVEN, yes, seven gunsmiths who state that they can make it work but still the problem pursists. I don't know why nobody can fix it.

I am stubborn and I don't want this to beat me, but this has went on for years and it's wearing me down. I hate to sell a rifle that was a gift and shoots so good.

Does anyone know a gunsmith that specializes in Weatherbys that can fix this thing, without ruining its accuracy, before I have a fortune wrapped up in it?

Sorry for being so long winded, I am frustrated beyond belief!!!

WLA

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Well, it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I gather it used to work. What has changed since then? Have your gunsmith check to see if the new barrel tenon is machined to the same dimensions as the old factory barrel. Diameter and depth of the bolt nose recess; beveled edges, etc.

What has changed with the ammo? What has changed in the over all length of the round and shape of the bullet since it last worked? The problem will likely be found somewhere between the two and shouldn't be too difficult to solve.

While you're at it, you might want to check to make sure the magazine box is seated correctly. You know, just in case.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote