New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dovetail sights, push from left or right
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If I'm looking from the breech toward the muzzle, what's on my left is left and wh't on my right is right. That's my understanding.

From which side is a dovetail sight installed?

You push it out from the same side it came in on, correct?

Thanks,

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most dovetail sights enter from the right side of the dovetail, and are pushed towards the left. You remove it by pushing on the left side so that the sight comes back out towards the right.

There are some exceptions, hopefully someone here will remember what they are. A set of fine calipers will help you determine the narrow end of the dovetail or the slot.

Always use a proper fitting sight-pusher.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's how my Williams sight in a Williams dovetail ramp turned out. The difference was not apparent to me when I tried to measure with calipers before removing the old sight, but there was only one way the new one was going to fit. It entered far enough to hold itself in place when placed in the right side. It would not start to fit when I tried putting it in from the left.

I will probably forget this all again before I need to install another sight. If I am lucky, I will remember that a gun works oppposite the way a horse does.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote