New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sendero extractor broke today
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
I was at the range today firing my 338 RUM when I went to extract a round it I had resistance. I figured maybe it was getting stuck because it was a max load. Well after forcing the bolt backwards I noticed that there were metal shavings around the extractor. The extractor had failed. It looked ugly, loose meatal shaving everywhere. Has anyone had this happen on a remington? I'm afraid that I won't see it for a few months if I send it back.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time with a Rem, that's why I shoot Mauser's!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
Most any COMPETENT gunsmith can replace that extractor or install a sako style extractor for you.

MM

<MOA>
posted
Thanks guys. Do you thing Remington will ask for my whole rifle or just the bolt? If I paid a gunsmith to fix it would it be relatively cheap? Does someone have a part number for teh sako type extractor?

<MontanaMarine>
posted
If you had to force the bolt backward, your breakage may very well be caused by excessive pressure. Was your case head deformed any? did the primer fall out?

Remington extractors do fail sometimes. But not "all the time"....just like mauser extractors.

MM

<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://members.tripod.com/Hicksdesigns/

MOA,

Here is a link to Jeff Hicks' site. He is a reputable builder of precision rifles. He will install a sako extractor for $115.00. Go to his site, check out his services and pricing.

MM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA,

I am not trying to be funny, but is the extractor actually broken.

Brass shaving are common with Rem 700 extractors. Some of the magnum bolt face ones can be bad offenders because of the rivot that holds the extractor in place.

If it is broken, in what way is it broken?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

Brownells sells the Russ Haydon's Sako extractor kit for $23.95

Type "Sako extractor" in the stock no./product window and search. it will come up.

MM

<MOA>
posted
Yes, the extractor is broken. The whole thing came unseated from the bolt. There was a large piece of metal (not brass) that became completely separated from the bolt face around half of its circumfrence. I even showed it to an old timer gunsmith at the gun club and he said he had seen that type of failure of the extractor. It could have bben worse, I may have been bear hunting when the failure occured. The load I was shooting was a max documnented load. A sierra 215 game king behind 93.0 grains RL22 with a fed 215 primer. The case looked fine except it had an extravtor mark. It was the sixth round of that load and I didn't see any signs of pressure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MOA

It sounds like it has broken off where the rivot goes as the metal is very thin around the rivot hole.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If this is a factory gun it has the latest style, non-riveted, extractor. Just buy a couple from Brownells and put on in the bolt snout. Piece of cake. I just hope that you didn't rip out the end of the bolt snout, I've seen this done on a few Rems.

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
Another extractor mod is to install an AR-15 type extractor, which I believe is cheaper than the sako and gets a bigger bite. A friend just had one installed and it looks great. It went on a 6.5WSM. Thus large boltface.

I believe installtion ran around $100.

I would recommend the bigger extractor for the large case like the ultra.

<FarRight>
posted
This summer I bought a Rem M700 7mm Rem Mag. It came with a crisp but heavy 8 pound trigger pull. I took it to the local gunsmith to have the trigger pull reduced to 2.5 pounds and while I was there we got to talking. Seems he was installing a Sako extractor on someone elses' rifle. When I asked why he replied, Well, to replace the Micky Mouse extractor Remington put on." He had rose my curiosity to the point that I asked him to install one on mine as well. It took some tuning to get to work properly but all is fine now and it is much better than the factory Rem extractor. Extraction is much more positive, even when bolt manipulation is slow. I highly recommend it.

BTW I paid $70 for mine.

The weak extractor has been my only complaint with Remington. And I still feel that the extra cost to tune the trigger and install the Sako extractor beats the hell out of paying even more for a Win M70 or similiar that at least in my experience, isn't going to be as accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
please be so kind as to read the previous thread on the Sako extractors. There is some good shit there. One thing that I failed to mention, is that some individuals will install the Sako extractor without bushing the bolt face. IMHO this is a rape on the owner and should not be accepted. It is a shortcut and does not work as well as the correct installation.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote