Find
Notify
Tools

Talley Type base alignment issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I've aquired a classic old single square bridge Mauser with a custom made saddle type front base machined for talley rings.

Using an Leupold I was able to just get it on paper, but when I fitted up the older Kahles I want to use on this rifle I couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards. Later with the scope optically centred I found it was at least 3 feet out of line with the bore at 40 yards - so quite a bit of misalignment ! I don't want to use a "new" scope on this classic old rifle.

So my options as I see them are:

Have a new front sadlle made up ( I'm not especially fond of the profile of the exisiting one) with better alignment.

This would leave the rear ring mis-aligned but given that this rifle is a 250 Savage so light recoil, maybe the rear dovetail could be radiused so the ring could "pivot" on the dovetail.

Secondly I could get a set of rings modified, the scope is a 26 mm tube, so maybe the 'smith could bore a 1.0 inch set to 26 mm and bring things into alignment.

This rifle is already a favourite and I want a permanent solution without shims and things.
Any comments or suggestions ?

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could just have the dovetails recut to work with a different ring. I did this once to correct an error I did when making a set of bases for a mauser. I recut them to fit a set of wisner's rings.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote