New
Find
Notify
Tools

ordering a barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
e-mailed PacNor and requested a barrel for my win. mod 70---twist rate(10"),chambered(.338-06),contour(sporter#3),threaded to fit. Should I assume they are going to do it exactly or am I missing something and should notify them? Gonna be a standard match chrom moly 22"bbl. I am hoping the order will be correct and the only thing to do is intall/headspace to proper fit. My first order of any kind or nature.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I don't know if PacNor laps their standard match barrels but Krieger recommends cutting off the last inch of the barrel to remove any imperfections caused by the wear of the lapping rod on the bore.
You might want to specify a 24" length blank because you will lose a little length on the cut and crown. If you order a 22" blank you'll wind up with a 21" barrel.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want it ready to intall, have them do the crown. I like 11 degree target crowns my self. If you don't get it done by them it will just have to go to a smith to get it done.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
An e-mail never replaces a phone call. Call them and describe exactly what you want and what you expect to get. Find out when they plan to send it and exactly how much they want for the product.

One thing I can think right off the top of my head is do you want it short or long chambered? Ya know, for only a few more bucks they'll put it on for you. Might be your best bet.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In line with what Fjold said,

When ordering barrels I always specify what my finished length will be.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Time zones throw me off a tad so I done the internet thing a few hours ago and again did the same to verify the actual bbl length required.I will not be intalling it myself and too, I like the 11 deg. crown as well. The chambering TC1 is it?, throes me a tad too, outside the fact of the .338-06 you might be getting at what exactly? I am learning as I attend to this and those forums where the well learned talk about throat dimensions and bullets to be used. Most bullets I expect to use will be reload by self and probably be Partitions or Woodleighs so what does that mean in "short" or "long"? Bullet to rifling distance? Maybe this can be a turning point in my understanding of requirements huhhh? Good commets fellows-----thanxs.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Hey griz, What I was talking about on the chambering is some people like thier barrels "short chambered" meaning they can screw the barrel down and adjust the head space with a reamer. Others don't like the idea of two different reamers cutting the same chamber and order thier barrel with a deep chamber and move the shoulder back to adjust headspace. both ways will work but I would ask the guy that's putting the barrel on what he wants and maybe talk to the people making the barrel and let them know.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the headsup. My gunsmithy friend mentioned he can ream the barrel so I understand why he preferred a blank so that adjustment can be done by himself. I now understand why no two reamers are the same and especially in the chamber. Why would he not accept as I never asked him the "long" to where he just needs to adjust the .005" requirement to headspace? Is not a barrel given the receiver design threaded to some thread count and size to have a precise reamed chamber to, let me see, to be a perfect from the barrel manufacturer. Darn learning something new allows for some humble questioniong-thanks for your time--do I have it? barrel blank or fully reamed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Penny or Chris a call. They are great folks and will answer all of your questions. Chris knows the business of making barrels and he has never lead me astray and I've bought well over 150 barrels form them over the years.

Pickup the phone.

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fritz454, did just that. Order was simplified and essentially very little confusion. thanks. read so much about the .338-06 and how effecient of a cartridge it is I look foward to reloading and using it here in my parts.thanks