Find
Notify
Tools

Arnold Arms Parts?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
Somewhere along the line in the last few years I inherited a stripped receiver that looks to never have been used although it has a matte type finish on it. The only markings on it are Arnold Arms and Arlington, WA besides a number I assume must be the serial number. It appears it would be a short action, and that it uses the same thread guard screws as the Remington 700. Beyond that I know nothing about it but it looks to be fairly well made. Does anyone know if there are any parts around for these as I have been told Arnold had somebody make these actions for them.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I believe Mark Stratton was at the auction when Arnold Arms went under...as I bought several barrels from him that were marked Arnold Arms during on of his classes at Trinidad State.

Might drop him a line, he might know who bought all the stuff.....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
This is really going to piss you off, especially if you paid a lot for it.

I was living about 30 miles from Arnold Arms in the late 90's early 00's. I visited the factory about 3 or 4 times trying to figure out what the deal was with them

There might be a few actual Arnold rifles built on the allged Apollo action. I doubt it though. All the ones I have ever seen that were dubbed Apollo are M700 stainless rifles with Remington milled off and the octagonal top milled into them.

Arnold arms went the way of the dinosaur for a reason. They got into ATF trouble for milling M700 serial numbers off and refacing the actions and calling them Apollo and charing a lot more.

I think a Apollo actioned rifle was $5000 and a M700 rifle was $3000.

Most of them even used Remington M700 bolts. So there were a little lazy in there trickery.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idared was at the same auction and they tried to sell off the Arnold Auction recievers and unfinished bolts. It was supposed to be a no minimum bid but they started the actioins and the right to produce them for $20k and had no takers. They then withdrew the "item".

D99, they did make an action. I had a booth adjacent to them at an Elk foundation show and saw a number of rifles made from the action. The went under for offering stocks in their company without an approval by the FTC. That is a very big no no and they got a very big fine that put them under. They did have an action and I saw a number of them at the auction. They were auctioning off the remaining parts, the jigs and CNC programming to build them. They were there in various stages of completion.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I've heard nothing but bad about these people, and some of it from people who claimed to be former employees. Glad they're gone, I damn near sent them something once.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
As Chic has said they did make an action of their own, and it looks like it might have been fairly interesting to me. It resembles a Remington a bit but is not a perfect copy by any means. I do wish I would have paid a little more attention when Chic and I were looking at those parts that day, but never figured I would have any need or want to know.

The receiver in question was obtained from someone else who probably was also at the auction that day and must have been in a box of parts they bought. This person also had a pile of used barrels from the sale that day. As far as any great amount of money invested in it I can well afford to use it for a paper weight the rest of my life and not feel cheated. It's just that I oftened wonder what happened to those parts and if any were still around as they were there the day of the sale. I have heard several stories that other companies also made parts for the actions. I've also heard of some other business dealings Arnold had with others. Some of it was not to upstanding on one parties part from what I heard. Mad

As Dempsey mentioned it is maybe best that they are no longer in business as some of the barrels I bought that day were kinda cobbled up as far as the threads were concerned. It also took a bit of research to figure out what a 257 Arnold and a 300 Arnold were, as I had a few barrels chambered for each that came from the auction. Suffice to say, they didn't turn any new ground. Wink

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arnold arms at least got some of what they deserved... to go out of business. The one "good" thing you could say about them is they kept a good number of competent smiths in the area quite busy redoing their "custom" work. They pissed off a lot of people.
As far as the action goes I wouldn't want anything with their name on it. That being said, have it gone through and trued up by a smith you trust and it will probably be just fine.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Arnold arms inventory and some machinery will be auctioned the 17th of April.

Time to expand the workshop Big Grin Roll Eyes

http://www.murphyauctions.net/arnoldarms.html#pic2

http://web.archive.org/web/20010405163847/www.arnoldarms.com/
Cheers beer
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
Gentlemen

Arnold arms inventory and some machinery will be auctioned the 17th of April.

April 17, 18, and 19........Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.

That was in 2002.

I think this window of opportunity has passed.

Smiler

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NO S%%T!

<JOHAN>
posted
GrandView

Sorry... bewildered

Better luck next time Cool Eeker

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
As one of Arnolds parts suppliers.

Yes they did have some actions made by Nesika Bay.

They came to me as I was making the M70 type safety for them. They had 75 bolts that the thread timing was off. So I had to break them down into groups of three for timing and make safeties fit them.

They would also use what ever action the customer wished.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1473 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote