New
Find
Notify
Tools

To checkpiece or not
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am making a 1935 Bolivian Mauer in 30-06 and am at the stage that I have to decide if I should have a checkpiece or not and thought some on this forum may have a view. It is high grade walnut and I have spent quite a bit of money on this project so far. The stock is an English style stock, open grip, foreshortened fore-end. I plan on using this rifle for hunting and find that a checkpiece is often an annoyance, it hits my knife, belt, etc., when slung and think that they are kinda worthless. My question is: If I sell this gun in the future, by not having a checkpiece will I reduce the resale value and will it look kinda of weird to be sans checkpiece. Your esteemed opinions will be valued.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purely a personal choice. I have a personal rifle way down in the queue that will be built sans cheekpiece and made a rifle for a client last year w/o a cheekpiece.

Most people want one, so it would likely be an issue for a potential buyer. But it sounds like you do not like than and that is what is important. Resale value on a custom gun is usually not all that great, and I would guess that any percentage imapct compared to your initial cost should be minimal.

There is no way to rub a crystal ball and know for sure, so I would make it the way you like it and enjoy!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Without a cheekpiece, it will be less representative of the best quality British style stock.

If that concerns you, then your stock should feature a British oval, shadowlined cheekpiece.

As for resale value, I would think that other factors, such as caliber, sights, quality of the wood, condition, etc., would be more important. But in my limited experience (and it's certainly true for me) I would say that most people do seem to prefer a cheekpiece.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13397 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like a nice shadow line cheek piece. If you were looking to sell your rifle and I was thinking about buying it, however, the absence of a cheekpiece wouldn't deter me from buying it if I liked everything else about it. I might wish that it had a cheekpiece, but I wouldn't discount what I was willing to pay if it didn't have one. I can't speak to the overall marketplace, but you've got me two cents worth.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you for your response. It has helped me make my decision. All my rifles have checkpieces. I will have one without. Life is too short, and in spite of the fact that I am worrying about screwing up a seventy year old piece of real "French", one should make what they like. Thank you

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat:
Gentlemen, thank you for your response. It has helped me make my decision. All my rifles have checkpieces. I will have one without. Life is too short, and in spite of the fact that I am worrying about screwing up a seventy year old piece of real "French", one should make what they like. Thank you

Would love to see a picture of your 70 year old stick of French Walnut.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will take a picture this weekend and post it. It is interesting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're planning quarter rib and/or using express sights then no cheekpiece. If scope use then I recommend cheekpiece.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a few grand classic early Niedner/Shelhamer and Griffin & Howe rifles without cheekpieces. Also, of all things, a Ross made a few years ago by Ed Webber. They look fine to me and since these are really collectors pieces rather than active hunting rifles I do not think the value is affected at all by the lack of a cheekpiece.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote