Find
Notify
Tools

questions about the 280
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I am thinking about getting a custom rifle made in a 280. What are some opinions on this cal? Would you go with this or a 30-06? Or is there something else that is comparible that is better? I would appreciate any comments or opinions.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do want to use the rifle for? The .280 is a good round and for all purpose,is nothing but a .270. If you've got a .270 then the .280 really doesn't fill any spaces for you unless you just want a .280. If you're interested in shooting heavy bullets at moderate speeds then go with 06, I prefer the 06 for elk hunting over the .280.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some acquire .270 and .30-06 rifles first and then view the .280 an an unnecessary intermediate cartridge that doesn't add to their capability. Others of us started with the .280 as ideal of the three, added rifles in lighter calibers like .25 or 6.5 mm and heavier calibers like the .30 magnums, and now view the .270 and .30-06 as the unnecessary intermediate cartridges in our battery. Thus, it's strictly a matter of personal choice, what your use of it is to be, and what you've become accustomed to as to how you view the .280. I personnally wouldn't trade it for any other cartridge, including the 7mm mags.

Russ

Posts: 54 | Location: Fort Collins, CO, USA | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ said about all that can be said to this question and said it well. 270, 280 and /06 are all excellent cartridges. I would only point out these minor issues. First, the 30/06 is the most versatile of the three. And logistically speaking, you will find .270 and 30/06 over the counter brass, ammo, etc much more readily than with the .280. (Not that a clever reloader can't make this a non-issue...but I suspect you would be in big trouble if you ever had to buy 280 ammo in most stores across the land.) I wouldn't pick a 280 unless I were a reloader, which I trust you are.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going after elk with the rifle get the .280 the .280 has the advantage of 175gr bullets. If not, then the .270 is a better choice, more factory ammo, and brass available. I never go after anything heavier than 300lbs with a .270, and it has been superb.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I agree with Russ nFC, get a .280!! I have a 7X57, and regard it as almost as good as the .280, but not quite. But, it does everything I need a rifle for in North America!!

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I dont know exactly what I plan to do with the rifle I just feel that I need to fill a gap between my 6.5x55 and my 300 win mag. I will probably use it for deer and other like sized game. It is rather brushy here and the m94 6.5 with the 18 inch barrel is easy to carry in the woods. I thought that this gun would fill the gap and work well in areas that are more open and require longer shots. Atleast that is how I plan to justify it to my wife.

------------------
don't cuss farmers and ranchers with your mouth full

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
El Cab-
Given what you've got already and what you want to do with your new rifle, you've hit the nail on the head with the 280.

I'm having a 280 built right now on a G.33/40 action I bought from Butch Searcy. The 280 covers so much of the North American hunting spectrum, its always a wise choice. It's made better and even more flexible by handloading.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
The .280 is a great caliber! It has many advantages over a .270- and for me- it's not an 06. I don't really care for the 30-06- I know all about the great selection of bullets and over the counter ammo- and that is why I don't care for it. Different is better..... the larger selection of bullet weights makes it the ideal choice for a reloader- from varmints to elk- no problem.
Mine is a Ruger #1- just got back from my range-
59 grains or RL22, Nosler Ballistic Tip 140
3015 average fps- best group .620, average group of 5, .856. Still have some tweaking to do- but it will shoot.