New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 to 6.5 WSM?
 Login/Join

<1_pointer>
posted
I've picked up a used 6.5-06 barrel and a Rem 700 LA with a mag bolt face. Is it possible to rechamber the barrel to 6.5WSM or is that too far to set the barrel back?

one of us
posted Hide Post
i vote for a 6.5/338 or such. you have all the room you need and there are reamers out there for a full size 6.5. would be a nice rig........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got any idea what the life expectancy is for one of those 6.5-338's, and how much relative case capacity is it?

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pointer..........I would just stick with the .264 if I were you.......the parts you have on hand are going to make it a snap , and there's nothing the 6.5 WSM will do that the .264 won't do . Your barrel would have to be set back so far to rechamber to WSM it may not be feasible . The .264 will feed from your long 700 , the WSM case may not .

The .264 really is a nice cartridge ; much better than it's detractors would have you believe .

P.S......the .264 and a 6.5/.338 would be indentical .

[ 03-04-2003, 17:33: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If i am not mistaken the .338 case is the same case as the .264 Win Mag. I don't think the 6.5 WSM will do anything that the .264 won't do other than come in a shorter action. The 6.5-06 will come a distant 2nd with 140 grain bullets. Good luck with your project. sounds like a lot of fun

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
Thanks for the replies! After some more thought, I think the .264 Win IS different enough to be interesting!!!! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can put up with cheaper brass, better feeding, greater magazine capacity, and more velocity, then go ahead and build the .264 Winchester.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
or have it reamed to 6.5-06AI and save some powder, as well as using a non-belted case. Just another thought.....

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote