New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser classic stalking rifle questions
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
I am thinking of building a classic mauser stalking rifle, germen rather than english.

anyone got a good source of info and/or pics on this?

BrowningGuy has nearly exactly what I think i want, and i wanted to reference to make sure I don't build a mudduck

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff

A very good source it's the book Obendorf Sporting Rifles , by Schmidt/Speed , found this on the web:

Collector Grade Publications
Publish Date: 1997
Edition: 1st edition

Description:

508 pages, 983 illustrations, 114 in color. This remarkable book breaks new ground with never-before-published photos and data about Mauser-Werke itself, then offers the most exhaustive study ever published of the design origins and manufacturing history of the Original Oberndorf Mauser sporter, a rifle produced in a vast number of calibres and variations right alongside the military Gewehr 98 (before WWI) and later, the K98k.Includes many magnificent Mauser sporters made up by the finest armsmakers in England, America, and Germany, using 98 actions supplied from Oberndorf, plus the most comprehensive Serial Number/Date chart ever. Since WWII, Mauser has been reluctant to put all its eggs in the 98 basket, and numerous other avenues have been explored, while today, sporters built on refurbished military 98 actions are still in production.

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Not sure what you mean by a "classic mauser stalking rifle"? Or if my definition is the same as yours.

In any event, here are some nice pic's of Type "A" mausers.

-

Source document " Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles" by Speed, Schmid, and Herrmann. Sorry for the poor quality of the scan. This book is rather large for my flatbed scanner.

Bob

[ 11-10-2003, 19:48: Message edited by: Shadow ]

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
thanks Guys,
Shadow, these are what I am looking for!!

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

If you want more pictures, I can e-mail them to directly to you. It would be easier and faster to do than scanning, uploading, and then posting here.

Let me know by shooting me an e-mail.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

Pictures sent in 4 emails.

Enjoy, and try not to drool all over your keyboard, makes the keys sticky. [Wink]

Rots of luck with your project. [Big Grin]

Regards,

Bob (aka Shadow)

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's a Brno I've posted before made using a Freischutz Classic pattern from Great American Gunstocks. Similar to J.P. Sauer Mausers, very Germanic.

-

[ 11-10-2003, 20:21: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Wow, Guys
thanks for the help!!!

At least I see a finished pic of the Freischutz that looks liek it is the skinny, thin, light deal

jeffe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daniel,

whom would sell copies of that Book ??

That indeed would be a supur reference to have in ones libary.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
PC- they're for sale on eBay, Amazon, Abe

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Guys,
I talked to my friend that dups stocks... he SAYS it requires drilling 2 holes in the buttstock (under the pad) and one on the "nose"

rather than asking someone to offer up their stock... does anyone have a takeoff or broken stock that I could buy? (cheap)

jeffe

<JBelk>
posted
Jeffe---

The Model A Mausers are more British Express than Germanic Stalking style.

Check with Chic Worthing to see if he has a pattern like some of the ones he and Maurice Ottmar have done......pretty pure German styling on those.......much like the BRNO pictures posted.

THe thing to look for is the bag grip on the inexpensive grades and side panels on the rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fla3006.

I want to get a copy of that.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Check this one out. It will blow your mind.

Photos of Ottmar's stock

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thats the exact style stock I want to put on my next project;a 9.3x62 on a 1908 Brazilian action with 1909 bottom metal. How close is the Great American Cunstocks rendition to these?

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Frieschutz classic is almost an exact rendition of the Ottmar rifle shown. The tip as recieved is a bit larger but that of course can be cut down. I have one on a Swedish Mauser and it is a really nice stock. Absolutely no way will it work with a scope, but it is great offhand.

I have a German rifle in 8mm which was made about 1915 which has a stock very much like this. It is built on a commission 88 action with a custom single stack magazine and lever floor plate. Half octagon barrel, engraved, claw mounts, multple leaves, barrel swivel etc. Surprisingly, it is in 8x57 JS, which makes it one of the earliest commercial rifles I have seen in that size. It looks much like this too. To me, that type of rifle is the ultimate in cool. They were not built to the level of the later British rifles, but they were generally more handmade.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote